I’ve noticed that lots of people have been tweeting about new buds on their fruit trees and slightly warmer temperatures, so I now feel comfortable offering spring time desserts. If you are still in freezing weather, make these, take a bite and close your eyes. You will immediately start seeing green grass, tulips, and spring.
I found this recipe at Rita’s Recipes. It is hands down THE BEST lemon dessert I have ever had. To top it off, they are incredibly easy to make. The lemon flavor is intense yet delicate at the same time. They are not overly tart. As my husband’s co-worker described them, “once they start to taste tart, they immediately turn sweet.” The consistency is of a moist cake like brownie. Topped with a silky cream cheese frosting, these brownies will knock your socks off.
Make them, you will not regret it. In fact, double the recipe and give them out. These bars will turn anyone’s day from mediocre to life changing, and bring a smile to everyone’s face.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tbsp milk
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time until completely incorporated.
- Add lemon juice and zest, mix until incorporated.
- With a wooden spoon, mix in flour and salt.
- Pour into a greased or line 8x8 inch brownie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Cream cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.
- Turn mixer to low and beat in powdered sugar, add milk and zest.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Pour glaze over brownies and allow to set for 30 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!