After a recent day full of shopping, we decided to recharge at Coffee Bean. Upon entering, there was a large photo of their new Espresso Cream Cheese Brownies that immediately caught my eye. Espresso had been on my mind after finding out that my favorite coffee store, Nespresso, opened up at the very mall that I was at. After stocking up on probably too many Nespresso pods for home, I was in full on coffee mode.
Within the week, I had made these brownies, coffee, ice cream, and coffee studded cookies. Not to mention I had pretty my demolished my month long stash of espresso pods. I love having friends over for a cup of coffee, especially when I have the good stuff on hand. Considering the price of each pod and how we can not limit ourselves when they are on hand, we usually only get them when we are in Switzerland (they are about 15 cents cheaper) or when I find a store. Which up until that shopping day, was only when I was in LA or San Fran.
Anyway, when friends come over for coffee, they kind of expect a sweet treat to go with it. I am a food blogger after all. So I delivered. These brownies were a huge hit. Dense chocolate brownies studded with chocolate chips and delicately swirled with a espresso cream cheese swirl. You really can’t go wrong here. The only thing I would have added were some chocolate covered espresso beans, but I didn’t have them so oh well.
If you are looking for a delicious square to serve at your coffee date or brunch, these are it! Scroll past the recipe for some other coffee infused recipes! Enjoy!
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 additional cup of chocolate chips
- Espresso Cheesecake Swirl
- 3/4 cup or 6 oz of cream cheese , softened
- 1 teaspoon espresso power
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or parchment paper (or foil)
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in the microwave on high for 1 minutes.
- Remove and stir together.
- If the choc/butter mixture is not completely melted, put back in microwave for 30 sec.
- Add eggs and sugar and whisk together.
- Add the flour salt and milk, and whisk together to mix.
- Stir in additional chocolate chips.
- Pour into baking dish.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat cream cheese, espresso powder, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Drop dollops of the cheesecake batter of the all over the brownie mixture and swirl with the tip of a knife.
- Bake for 30 min or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Makes 9 large squares or 12 smaller squares.
Buttery Coffee Cake (not coffee infused but great with a cup!)