I love cupcakes in a jar. They stay fresh and moist for days. Frankly, I think they are more fun to eat than a regular cupcake!
I made these this week for my friend who was coming over for coffee. I knew that if I made regular cupcakes, and left them out, the monsters aka my children and husband would have gobbled them up as soon as I turned my back to them. The solution, make the cupcakes but stick a few in a jar and hide them in the back of the fridge.
When I removed them and brought them to room temperature a few days later, they were just as moist as the day I baked them! The coffee flavor was a tad bit stronger, but just as delicious, if not better.
The vanilla bean cupcakes pair perfectly with the coffee chocolate flavored frosting. A perfect afternoon treat with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or regular vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with a splash of white vinegar)
- 1 stick unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons strongly brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda and mix.
- In your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend butter, sugar and vanilla at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Reduce speed to low and add a cup of flour followed by 1/3 of the buttermilk.
- Repeat this 3 times, until you have incorporated all the flour and buttermilk.
- Work quickly when you are incorporating the flour and milk.
- You do not want to wait until each addition is fully mixed.
- I usually add the flour, give it literally 2 seconds, then add the milk, and repeat after 2 seconds. For the last addition of the flour and milk, I usually mix by hand, in order to avoid over beating.
- Spoon into greased cupcake pan, and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing.
- Beat butter and extract for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder and coffee.
- Beat with whisk attachment for 3 minutes on high.
- To assemble, cut one cupcake in half and stick it gently into the bottom of the jar.
- Add about 1 tbsp of filling and place the other half on top.
- The filling will spread itself out.
- Pipe frosting onto the top, adorn with sprinkles, grab a spoon, and enjoy!