To me, nothing says Valentine’s Day like hearts, chocolate and roses. And that is exactly why I am planning to celebrate this special day with this stunning Heart Brownie Cake.
Rich, decadent and chocolately, this heart-shaped brownie cake is topped with a beautiful rose-inspired cream cheese frosting. And while piping the rose pattern may seem complicated, it is actually quite easy to do. I have put together an instructional video so you can follow along step-by-step. Imagine how impressed your loved ones will be when they see this Valentine’s Day masterpiece?!
I really enjoy going all out on Valentine’s Day, and always bake up something extra special for my family. And of course, that something special needs to be heart shaped.
My past creations include these adorable Heart Apple Pies, this completely edible Chocolate Heart Cake Box filled with homemade truffles, and my Heart Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies are a perennial favorite that I am sure will be making an appearance this year too. But this Heart Brownie Cake will surely take center stage.
Tips for Making Heart Brownie Cake
- Feed free to add some chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, to the brownie cake batter.
- For a different flavor, swap the semi-sweet chocolate chips for white chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips.
- I used a full size heart-shaped cake pan, but you can make smaller, individual heart brownie cakes to give out as Valentine’s Day gifts.
More Delicious Brownie Recipes
If you love brownies as much as I do, you’ll want to try my recipe for Cherry Cream Cheese Brownies, these Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Brownies, and this recipe for Beer Brownies (that’s right, made with beer!).
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops pink food coloring
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place the heart shaped pan on a large piece of parchment paper and trace around the edges. Cut out heart and place inside the pan. Spray edges of pan with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, melted butter, and oil.
Add eggs and vanilla, whisk until smooth.
Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk until smooth.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
Bake brownies 27-30 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
Cool in pan for 20 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and pink food coloring and continue to beat until creamy.
Frost the cooled brownies.
Fit pastry bag with large star tip. Fill with buttercream.
Pipe roses onto the heart shaped brownie as you see in the video above.
Slice and serve!