This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SendingMyLove #CollectiveBias
Say “I Love You” with these adorable homemade Valentine’s Day Heart Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies. Every cookie comes with a heart and is garnished with love!
My Grandmother is a master at always finding the perfect card. She can easily spend an hour in the Walmart card isle looking for one that is just right for the recipient. Since she is no longer driving, I have taken the task of looking for perfect cards with her, and since we have such a large family, it is almost a weekly occurrence! This simple errand has become one that I have grown to love and look forward to. There is always the perfect card for the significant person in your life, whether it be romantic, humorous, or playful.
Now having just celebrated my 15th year of marriage, and the fact that we still have young children, Valentine’s Day is more of a kid holiday to us than a romantic holiday. I absolutely love making special treats for my kids and their classes like these Heart Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies. Along with a simple card, these little gestures garnish photo worthy smiles and great big hugs.
Since Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday this year, I wanted to be prepared, and not be one of the 1,000 men at the grocery store looking for a card on the day of. So during my last card shopping date with grams, I took the opportunity to pick out the perfect card for my kids.
My little guy’s absolute favorite song is the Lava song, so when I say this card I immediately put it in the cart. He is going to love it! American Greetings cards at Walmart also just released Coupon Books. Since we have 3 children and there is never enough time for each kid, I am going to give them each a coupon for a special movie night. They love their one on one time with us, so I am sure they will be used immediately!
So whether you are expressing your love to your significant other, children, friends, sister, or teachers, let the card say what you feel. Fill their hearts with sweet words and delicious Heart Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies.
Check out my video below for visual instructions-
Make sure to take advantage of Ibotta Offer – Buy 1 card and earn $1.00. You can also take this Valentine’s Day quiz now to enter the #SendingMyLove #Sweepstakes! Sweepstakes ends 2/13/18.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- Red Food Dye
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and extract.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Remove 2/3 of dough and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of red food dye to remaining dough and mix until dough is red.
- Place red dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to 1 inch thickness.
- Freeze red dough for 10 minutes.
- When red dough is cold, cut out mini red hearts and stack together, carefully not to ruin their shape.
- Cover hearts with large strips of the non colored dough, creating a log.
- Roll log in parchment or wax paper to smooth out.
- Roll in nonpareils then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate log for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice log into 1/2 inch rounds and placed on parchment lined cookie sheet about 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake at 350° F for 8 -10 minutes.