Just like your favorite chain restaurant's version, this Fresh Strawberry Pie has a buttery crust that is loaded to the brim with sweet sun ripened strawberries. Garnished with homemade whipped cream, it is the perfect fresh fruit dessert!
Every year I crave one of these sweet pies, but for some reason, I have only just now gotten around to posting a recipe for it. I secretly believe that it was simply because I was afraid of the cut.
In the food blogging world, it's all about getting the right shot. And you don't have the right knife to slice perfectly through the whole strawberries, there is no photo. And while this fresh strawberry pie is utterly delicious, nobody looks at a pile of broken crust and haphazard strawberries and thinks, "Hey, I want to make that." Because as the saying goes, we do eat with our eyes first.
Like usual, my amazing husband came through with the perfect Mother's Day gift. He bought me my first high quality (expensive) knife that can slice through anything! The man totally gets me.
With my sharp knife, fridge full of fresh Carlsbad strawberries, and a few pounds of butter, I finally came through on my promise. You see, this pie has been requested many, many times. I always said "no" as I knew I couldn't get the cut. But now, I have no more excuses!
Why You'll Love Fresh Strawberry Pie
- I'm so happy that I finally made this Fresh Strawberry Pie. It truly is one of my favorite Spring/Summer desserts. Here are just a few of the reasons why:
- Make it with store-bought crust. I have made this pie with both store-bought and homemade crust. And good news: they are equally delicious! While this recipe calls for a store-bought crust, if you're in the mood you can totally make your own from scratch. I have an easy fool-proof all butter pie crust recipe here.
- It is extremely easy to make, and requires only a few minutes of bake time for the crust. Trust me when I say that even during the extreme heat of summer, those 15 minutes of oven time are worth the sweat after one bite of this pie!
- It's the perfect way to use those peak-season strawberries. During the late spring and early summer months, we make several trips to our favorite u-pick strawberry farm. Making this pie is a delicious way to use up that precious bounty.
Pro Tip: I'll often wash and prep several quarts of berries at a time, so using handy tools like this strawberry huller make this job easy.
Since receiving my knife, I have made this pie several times. And every time it lasts just a few minutes before being entirely gobbled up. So, if you plan to make this Fresh Strawberry Pie for an upcoming Memorial Day or summer party, you'd better make a few! It's the only way to ensure that you actually get a slice!
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- 2 (8 inch) deep dish pie shells, baked
- 2 ½ quarts fresh strawberries , hulled
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin (Jell-O®)
Bake pie shells according to package instructions.
Gently rinse and towel dry strawberries.
Hull strawberries (remove leafy green top and stem).
In a saucepan, mix together the water, sugar, and corn starch; whisk until completely blended.
Bring to a simmer, and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Add gelatin mix, and stir until smooth. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, toss strawberries with cooled gel mixture.
Place strawberries in baked pie shells; position berries with points facing up.
Pour remaining cooled gel mixture over strawberries.
Refrigerate until set.
Serve with whipped cream, if desired.