Strawberry Hand Pies are crispy and flaky on the outside and sweet and creamy on the inside. Enjoy delicious fresh strawberry pie, no utensils required!
As a mom of 3, there are certain land mines you learn to avoid. One of the biggest in my house is the “who got the bigger slice” debate. No matter how identical my slices are, one of the kids will declare that their piece (of cake, pie, pizza….you name it) is not as big as the others.
Which is exactly why I love making this recipe for Strawberry Hand Pies. Perfectly contained, these individually portioned hand pies are such a tasty treat. Equally great served as breakfast or dessert, they are every bit as delicious as a traditional size homemade strawberry pie. But without all the haggling over who has the better piece.
What Are Hand Pies?
Hand Pies, also known as turnovers and pasties, are small half-moon shaped pastries with either a sweet or savory filling. Hand pies may be baked, fried or deep fried, and can be eaten warm or cold.
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Hand Pies
Portable Pie! Because they are self contained, these cute little hand pies make a great addition to buffet-style meals, picnics or parties. My kids love that they can grab one for an after school snack or to take with them for a quick breakfast on the go.
This is recipe is quick and easy. With only 15 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes in the oven, these strawberry hand pies will be ready to enjoy much faster than their full sized counterparts.
Make ’em in advance. You can assemble a batch (or two) of these delightful Strawberry Hand Pies and then store them uncooked in the freezer for up to 3 months. They’ll be ready to bake whenever the mood strikes.
More Hand Pie Recipes
Looking to try your hand at even more hand pie recipes? Then you’ll want to check out these tasty Strawberry Rhubarb Turnovers and delectable Cherry Hand Pies. And these Apple Heart Pies are just the thing for serving up on Valentine’s Day!
Nature's candy-strawberries, wrapped up in a delicious cream cheese pie crust and baked to perfection!
- For the dough:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 3 cups whole strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons water
- Powdered sugar if desired for dusting
- In a stand mixer or hand mixer, process butter, cream cheese and heavy cream until well combined. Add flour and salt, process until dough holds together and will form a ball. Turn out to floured surface and divide in two. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Chop strawberries and mix with sugar, salt and cornstarch. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Roll out dough into two 12-inch circles. Using a 5-inch bowl or biscuit cutter, cut into rounds. Balling up, rolling out and cutting out any excess dough.
- Drain strawberries slightly. Place 1 heaping teaspoon into each round. Wet finger with water and dampen edges of each round and fold over. Crimp with back of fork to seal.
- Beat egg and brush tops of each pie with a pastry brush. Cut slit in top of each pie with knife.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar if desired.