Frighten your friends with these delicious, spooky Vampire Apple Pie Milkshakes. They are like a candy apple meets pie kind of drink!
Being the mother of two boys, I am almost obliged to create something gory for Halloween because the boys get a total kick out of it! But to be honest, I love creating these kinds of treats during the holiday. These Vampire Apple Pie Milkshakes are the perfect amount of spooky and deliciousness!
If you follow my blog then you would know that Baby Ben (almost 4, but always a baby) has a thing for apples. The kid seriously can’t get enough. I buy, on average, about 10 pounds of apples a week. Since we buy so many apples, I love trying out new varieties, and let me tell you there are quite a few!
The newest variety that we have tried are JAZZ apples. JAZZ apples originated in New Zealand, and have been available in the US for only about a decade. Because JAZZ apples are grown in both hemispheres, New Zealand and Chile (available May-September) and Washington (available September-May), we can enjoy them all year-long. Thankfully so, because they are delicious!
JAZZ is a natural cross between a Braeburn and Royal Gala apple. It combines the sweetness of the Royal Gala with the tang and texture of the Braeburn, making it not only wonderfully tart-sweet but also extremely crunchy. JAZZ apples hold their crunch in the fruit bowl longer than many, because they have such a firm texture. They also are perfect for baking!
The apples are available at most major grocery stores. We found ours recently at Trader Joe’s. As soon as we got home, Baby Ben insisted we make apple pie (his second favorite food after straight up apples), so we did. I always make a few extra cups of the apple pie filling to serve over oatmeal or yogurt later in the week. This time however, I decided to create a spooktacular dessert for the kiddos when they got home from school.
These Vampire Apple Pie shakes were not only easy to make and delicious, they were creepy and perfect to kick off the weekend full of Halloween festivities!
This season, there is an abundance of smaller-sized JAZZ apples available, making them perfect for snacking, kids’ lunch boxes and any time you just need a few bites of something truly delicious to pick you up!
Vampire apple pie milkshakes are like red candy apples meet apple pie a la mode!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups peeled , cored, and diced JAZZ apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3-4 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream for serving.
- To make the apple pie filling, melt butter in a medium sized pan on medium high heat.
- Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and sauté while stirring until apples are cooked, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature or place in a small bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- To make the Candy Coated rimmed glass, place sugar, water, corn syrup, and food coloring in a small sauce pan and stir to combine.
- On medium heat, cook sugar mixture until large bubbles begin to form, about 8 minutes (depending on your stove, so please watch carefully.) Mixture should coat the back of your spoon.
- Once done, remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, carefully dip the rims of your glasses into the sugar coating.
- To make the Apple Pie Milkshake, combine cooled apple pie filling, ice cream, milk, and vanilla in a high powered blender and bend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately, or place in freezer until ready to serve.
- Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
This post is sponsored by JAZZ apples. We appreciate your support of all of our sponsors!