Tired of the same old morning fare? Rhubarb Streusel Bread is a delicious way to start your day! Sweet and moist, this bread features fresh diced rhubarb and a crunchy streusel topping. Perfect with your morning cup of joe or served as an afternoon snack.
Think rhubarb is just for making into pies? Then this recipe for Rhubarb Streusel Bread will surely change your mind. A great alternative to banana bread and coffee cake, Rhubarb Streusel Bread is a delicious balance of sweet and savory.
How To Prepare Rhubarb For Baking
If you haven’t cooked with rhubarb before, it may seem a little intimidating. But don’t fret, because preparing rhubarb for baking is actually quite simple. Here’s what to do:
- First, cut the bottom and top of each rhubarb stalk with a sharp kitchen knife and remove all of the leaves.
- Then rinse off the stalks with cold, running water. There is no need to remove the skin, but if you notice any brown spots just remove with a vegetable peeler.
- Next, cut the stalks horizontally into small pieces that are about a half inch in width. Now your rhubarb is ready to be added to your recipe!
Can You Freeze Rhubarb?
Yes, you can freeze fresh rhubarb for up to 6 months. Simply prepare the rhubarb as described above. Then place a single layer of the rhubarb pieces on a baking sheet and put in the freezer. When the rhubarb is frozen, transfer the pieces to a resealable freezer-safe bag and squeeze out any excess air. Store the bag in the freezer until you are ready to use. You will need to thaw the rhubarb at room temperature before incorporating in your baked goods recipes.
Why You’ll Love Rhubarb Streusel Bread
It’s easy and affordable. All you need is some fresh rhubarb, a handful of everyday pantry ingredients and 15 minutes of prep time to make this gourmet tasting (and looking) bread.
Perfect for meal prep. Grab a bunch of rhubarb at your local Farmers’ Market, then whip up a few loaves of this rhubarb streusel bread to pop in the freezer and save for later.
The streusel topping. Anything that boasts a buttery, crumbly streusel topping is utterly delicious. It’s kind of amazing that just 3 humble ingredients add so much fantastic flavor and texture.
More Recipes Like Rhubarb Streusel Bread
Looking for more tasty recipes that will make your morning? Then you’ll want to check out my Pumpkin Breakfast Bread and White Peach Coffee Cake, plus this recipe for delectable Slow Cooker French Toast.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cup rhubarb diced
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla; mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, rhubarb, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix just until combined.
Pour evenly into two 8” x 4” greased & floured loaf pans.
- For streusel topping, combine sugar, butter, and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix with a fork until it has a wet sand consistency; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.