Spring is not complete without a slice of this slightly sweet and deliciously tangy Meyer Lemon Tart with a buttery shortbread crust.
I don’t think I have ever posted more Meyer Lemon recipes than I have this year. With its short California growing season, I can’t seem to think about anything else than to take full advantage. The difference in Meyer lemons and regular lemons is that Meyer lemons are moderately acidic and not as tangy as regular lemons. In fact, their juice is more on the sweeter side. This is because the Meyer Lemon is actually a hybrid of lemon and Mandarin oranges. Unlike regular lemons which are grown year around, Meyer Lemons are typically only available from May until December.
Now this recipe is equally delicious using regular lemons, but if you have Meyer’s available, use them! The filling is sweet and slightly tangy and paired with salty buttery shortbread crust, its a match made in tart heaven.
This Meyer Lemon Tart would be perfect on your dessert table or for your Mother’s Day Brunch. But why wait that long? After all, you need to taste test a recipe before serving it to a crowd right? Or, perhaps it’s just me that uses that excuse…
- Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup cold butter , cubed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cream , half and half or whipping cream
- Meyer Lemon Filling-
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Meyer Lemon zest , or regular lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer Lemon juice , or regular lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar , for garnish
- Shortbread Crust-
- In a food processor, pulse flour, powdered sugar and baking flour until combined.
- Add butter, one cube at a time, until combined.
- Mix in cream.
- Press dough into pan then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Par bake the crust at 325 minutes for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before adding filling.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Whisk sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup flour in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour lemon filling into crust.
- Cover edges of crust with strips of aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Bake tart until filling is set, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely. Serve cold or at room temperature with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Serves 8