This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ChooseMazola #CollectiveBias
September is National Cholesterol Awareness Month. And for a baker like me, I can’t think of a better way to help raise awareness than whipping up a recipe for delicious Low Fat Blueberry Muffins. I’ve loaded these muffins with all sorts of heart-healthy, cholesterol lowering ingredients: blueberries (a true superfood), antioxidant-rich honey, fiber-rich whole wheat flour and Mazola® Corn Oil. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
Low Fat Blueberry Muffins – Why You’ll Love Them
These Low Fat Blueberry Muffins are loaded with better-for-you ingredients, and they taste great too! And this recipe is so quick and easy to make. In less than 30 minutes, you can be enjoying fresh-from-the-oven, warm and delicious blueberry muffins. It’s the perfect muffin recipe for quick breakfasts and after-school snacks. And it’s an ideal meal prep solution: simply double this recipe and stash the extras in the freezer for later.
National Cholesterol Awareness Month is something I feel strongly about. Since I have family members with high cholesterol, I am always searching for ways to not only raise awareness, but I have been working on adapting many of our favorite recipes to be better-for-you and lower in cholesterol.
Fortunately, Mazola Corn Oil has been a kitchen staple in our family for as long as I can remember. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses including baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
3 Health-Friendly Swaps For Making Low Fat Blueberry Muffins
- Use Mazola Corn Oil instead of butter. I love that it’s easy to reduce saturated fats and cholesterol in all my recipes with simple swaps like this.
- Swap in whole wheat flour for regular white flour for a dose of important vitamins, minerals and fiber in each muffin.
- Make these muffins with honey instead of sugar. Honey contains antioxidants that help lower cholesterol and may reduce heart disease risk.
These Low Fat Blueberry Muffins are so tasty, not only will you and your family enjoy them during National Cholesterol Awareness Month, but all year long!
More Recipes Like Low Fat Blueberry Muffins
Love these delicious and filling low fat blueberry muffins? Then you’ll want to check out this recipe for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins, my Lemon Blueberry Struesel Loaf, and this Coffee Cake Blueberry Muffins recipe.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and add oil, honey, egg, and milk; whisk until smooth.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Scoop batter into liners filling them 2/3 of the way full.
- Top with additional blueberries, if desired.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes or until a knife is inserted in the center of a muffin and comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack or plate to cool completely.