These soft and chewy Lemon Cookie Bars are topped with a light frosting and are perfect for serving a crowd!
Spring is officially here, which means it’s time to break out all the fresh springtime flavors — like lemon — and incorporate them into as many recipes as possible.
I admit that we’re a little spoiled here in San Diego and “springtime flavors” for others are a bit more year-round for us. We’re blessed with a long growing season, and the three lovely lemon trees in my backyard fruit all year long. Not only does the fruit keep coming, but they produce a wonderfully fragrant smell that attracts humans and hummingbirds alike.
With year-round lemon access, you can’t blame me for wanting to infuse delicious sugar cookie bars with that wonderful lemon smell and flavor. (I guess you could say… when life gives you lemons, make Lemon Cookie Bars!)
Lemon Cookie Bars — with Double the Lemon Flavor
These soft and chewy Lemon Cookie Bars are actually doubly lemony: a sugar cookie bar base and a light-yet-decadent frosting, both infused with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest for an explosion of fresh lemon flavor.
When to Serve Lemon Cookie Bars
Lemon Cookie Bars are the perfect treat to serve to a crowd and make a wonderful addition to any spring or summer dessert spread.
More Lemon-Infused Treats
If lemon is your jam (lemon jam… yum!), try these other lemon-infused treats:
- Cream Cheese Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake: I love regular lemons, but I really love Meyer lemons (which are actually a lemon-Mandarin orange hybrid). This bundt cake is bursting with sweet Meyer lemon flavor.
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Loaf: Lemon Blueberry Streusel Loaf is a moist, flavorful lemon blueberry loaf topped with a sweet and crumbly streusel and a lemon glaze.
- Strawberry Lemon Punch: Vodka, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, and club soda make up this flavorful fruit-infused vodka punch.
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a (12"x17" or 13"x18") rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
To make the sugar cookie base, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl before each addition.
Mix in vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
Gradually add flour mixer to butter/sugar mixture.
Beat on low until all flour is just incorporated.
Press dough down in pan evenly.
Bake for 12-15 min, until edges are light golden brown.
Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
Add lemon juice and zest.
Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, followed by a tablespoon of milk at a time and mix until smooth and spreading consistency.
Spread frosting over cooled cookie bars.
Slice and serve.