These Strawberry Rhubarb Sugar Cookie Bars are nothing short of amazing! They take the heavenly flavor of strawberry rhubarb pie and put it in sugar cookie bar form topped with a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth crumb topping.
Last year upon moving into our home, the first order of business was to plant a rhubarb plant. Priorities right!? It has been a long year to wait for my first harvest, but when I did, I was ready! I had been jotting down recipe ideas and this one was at the top of my list.
I absolutely love the sweet combination of strawberry and rhubarb. The smells, flavors, textures all blend together perfectly. Although a traditional strawberry rhubarb pie is on my list of things to make, I wanted to try something else.
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Rhubarb Sugar Cookie Bars
The sugar cookie base does a great job at offsetting the tartness of the rhubarb. The strawberries melt into the cream cheese while baking creating a smooth berry center. Finally the streusel top layer gives the bars a bit of a crunch.
How to Serve Strawberry Rhubarb Sugar Cookie Bars
Strawberry Rhubarb Sugar Cookie Bars would be perfect to serve a crowd, especially for Memorial Day or the 4th of July. They are easily transported and can be made a day in advance. If you have some extra strawberries and rhubarb, I urge you to make these bars!
This amazing sugar cookie bars recipe makes for the perfect dessert!
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 and 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted Butter , melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the sugar cookie base, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl before each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixer to butter/sugar mixture.
- Beat on low until all flour is just incorporated.
- Press dough down in pan evenly.
- In a clean bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar for 3 minutes on high until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in diced strawberries and sliced rhubarb.
- Spread fruit cream cheese mixture over pressed cookie dough.
- To make the crumb topping combine melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and flour until small pea sized clumps form.
- Sprinkle over cream cheese mixture.
- Bake bars for 45 minutes or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.
- Cool and slice into bars.