Think outside the box (or cookie jar) and make a batch of these Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies. Love peanut putter chocolate chip cookies? While delicious, they are soooo last year. These Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies are destined to be the NBT (next big thing) in cookie baking!
What is Tahini?
Tahini is a condiment made from ground sesame seeds. Tahini-based sauces, spreads and dips are an integral part of Middle eastern cuisine.
The process for making tahini involves soaking sesame seeds in water and then crushing them to separate the bran from the kernels. The crushed seeds are then soaked again in salt water, which causes the bran to sink. The final step is skimming the floating kernels off the surface, toasting and then grinding them to produce an oily paste.
Why You’ll Love Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
The addition of tahini in this chocolate chip cookie recipe provides a deliciously creamy, earthy flavor that pairs just perfectly with chocolate. A welcome alternative for those with nut allergies, baking Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies is a great way to use up leftover tahini you may have after making hummus. But I love the taste of these cookies so much, I now keep a supply of tahini on hand at all times. Yep, they really are that good!
Tips for Making Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- This recipes makes 12 large cookies, but it can easily be made into 24 smaller cookies. Perfect when you need to feed a crowd!
- Make sure tahini is well stirred. If separated, pour all the tahini oil and solids into mixer and mix until combined. Transfer to an airtight container to store.
- The sesame seeds on top are not just for garnish! They roast while baking and give the cookies an extra nutty flavor and delightfully crunchy texture.
More Outside the Box Cookie Recipes
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup tahini well stirred
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Flaked sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Blend together butter, tahini, sugars and extract until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes on medium speed
- Add egg and mix for an additional 3 minutes
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture; mix until combined
- Stir in chocolate
- Spoon dough onto a lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and flaked sea salt
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to turn a golden color
- When removing from the oven tap the pan on the stove to deflate the cookies.
- Cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.