Want to bake cookies, but don’t have a lot of time — or ingredients? Then this recipe for Gluten Free Lemon Star Cookies is for you. With only 6 ingredients, you can make 50 (!) cookies in less than 30 minutes. The festive star shape and edible gold finish adds a sophisticated touch that looks complicated, but these cookies couldn’t be easier to make.
Based off of my cinnamon stars recipe, this version has a lovely light and bright lemon flavor that pairs perfectly with the nutty almond flour. And since they are gluten free and dairy free, these Lemon Star Cookies are well suited for a wide range of taste and dietary considerations.
In fact, this is one cookie recipe that is so versatile you will be making them all year long!
Why You’ll Love Gluten-Free Lemon Star Cookies
- These cookies come together so quickly. With just a handful of everyday pantry ingredients, you can easily make them whenever the mood strikes. Plus there’s no need to chill the dough before rolling, which is a huge time saver!
- Lemon Star Cookies are delightfully dense and chewy. Their texture and flavor reminds me of marzipan or calissons (a traditional French candy). So tasty!
- They are the perfect make-ahead treat! Since these cookies keep well (up to two weeks in an airtight container), you can bake them in advance and store them until needed. I’m planning to decorate a batch with edible gold, stash them in the fridge and then serve at my New Year’s Eve party.
How To Easily Separate Eggs
Since this recipe calls for egg whites only, follow these simple steps to easily separate your eggs:
- Crack the egg flat on the countertop, not the edge of a bowl.
- With one hand hold the broken egg over a small bowl, and catch the yolk in your other hand, allowing the white to run through your fingers into the bowl.
- Place the remaining yolk in another bowl.
Tip: You can store the remaining yolks in an airtight container for up to three days in the fridge.
More Delectable Gluten Free Recipes
For more delicious Gluten Free recipes likes these Lemon Star Cookies, try my Gluten Free Molasses Cookies and Gluten Free Strawberry Cake with Brown Butter Glaze.
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus more for rolling if needed
- 2 egg whites
- zest from 2 lemons
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine almond flour and sugar.
- Add egg whites and lemon zest and mix until dough begins to form a ball. Dough may be sticky.
- Place dough between to pieces of wax paper (or parchment) and roll to a 3/4-in thickness.
- If needed, lightly sprinkle surface or roller with sugar before rolling if not using the wax paper to roll out.
- Dip small star cookie cutter into sugar and cut out dough.
- Place cookies on baking sheet 1-inch away from one another.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- When cookies are done baking, let cool for 3-5 minutes, the dip the top of the cookie into the glaze and place on a cooling rack to dry.
- If adding sprinkles, add immediately.
- Let the glaze dry and set for 1-2 hours.
- Once dry, spray or brush with edible gold.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.