These Cordial Cherry Orange Truffles are a festive and decadent treat that is just perfect for holiday gifting!
What’s not to love about delectable cherry cordials wrapped with chocolate orange brownie and then dipped in rich chocolate? And the best part? These truffles look complicated, but are actually quite simple to make.
So easy in fact, I am planning to make several batches of these delicious truffles this year. Keeping them on hand and ready for last-minute gifts or to bring to potluck-style parties (no utensils needed to enjoy these bite-sized sweets) means less work for me when things start to get really hectic. And that is certainly a reason to be merry!
What is a Cordial Cherry?
A cordial is a type of confection in which a fruit filling and sugar syrup is placed within a chocolate shell. Cordial cherries are the most popular variety, and were first produced in France during the 1700s. Because they are so rich and decadent cordial cherry candies are often given as gifts, with the majority of cordial cherry candy sales happening during the holiday season.
Why You’ll Love Making Cordial Cherry Orange Truffles
- You can make them in advance. This recipe is so great for getting a jump on your holiday gifting and entertaining. Make several batches of these delectable treats at once, and then just store them in the fridge until needed.
- The kids can help! Mine had a ton fun rolling up the truffles and then garnishing with lots of festive sprinkles.
- They’re customizable. Try a white chocolate coating to make these snowball truffles. Or add vanilla bean to the brownie mixture instead of orange for a different flavor profile.
More Recipes for Holiday Treats
If you love these Cordial Cherry Orange Truffles, you’ll want to check out my recipes for classic Old Fashioned Pecan Fudge, cute Christmas Pinwheel Cookies and this stunning Red Velvet Christmas Cake.
- 1 box of brownie mix prepared
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice
- 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips or 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate bars broken into chunks
- 12 cordial cherries
- Holiday Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl with the prepared brownie mix, add in the zest of an orange and the orange juice.
- Bake for directed amount of time.
- Once brownies have baked and are removed from the oven, cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the brownies from pan and place in a food processor or blended with cream cheese; pulse until combined.
- Take two tablespoons of chocolate mixture and roll gently around the cordial cherries. Continue process until all the brownie mixture is used. Place balls on a lined pan and refrigerate for an hour.
- Once balls have cooled, melt chocolate in a microwave at 10 second increments, stirring between increments, until chocolate is melted. Dip balls, one at a time, into chocolate and lift out gently with a fork and allow excess chocolate to slip out. Place chocolate
- covered truffles back onto the pan and repeat the process. Garnish with holiday sprinkles. Store in fridge, and allow to come to room temperature before serving.