This Creamed Corn Cornbread Casserole (say that 3 times fast!) is moist, delicious and full of bold flavors. Just the thing to warm you up on a chilly night. This post has been sponsored by Krusteaz, however all opinions are 100% my own.
Friends, it is officially that time of year. The nights are getting longer, there’s a definite chill in the air. These are the days that make me want to snuggle up on the couch with a blanket, a piping hot bowl of chili, and an enormous chunk of cornbread. So comforting and so satisfying!
I love all sorts of cornbread, from traditional buttermilk cornbread to cornbread made with blue cornmeal. But when I’m in the mood for something a little more substantial and a little more flavorful, I reach for this Creamed Corn Cornbread Casserole recipe.
What is Elote?
Elote, a popular Mexican street food, is corn on the cob that is boiled or grilled in the husk. Typically eaten by grasping the husks that have been pulled down to form a handle, Elote is served topped with butter, salt, chile powder, cotija cheese and lime juice.
How to Make Creamed Corn From Scratch
If the thought of eating creamed corn makes you wrinkle up your nose, then you’ve clearly never tried homemade creamed corn. Nothing like its canned counterpart, creamed corn made from scratch is luxuriously rich and super tasty. Plus, you’ll be amazed at how quick and easy it is to make!
Just sauté minced garlic in butter, add the rest of the ingredients (frozen corn kernels, heavy cream, sugar, salt & pepper) and cook for 5-6 minutes. Then blend half of the mixture to make it ultra creamy, and it is ready to serve.
While this homemade creamed corn makes a perfect side dish in its own right, it truly is the star ingredient of this delectable Creamed Corn Cornbread Casserole.
What to Serve with Creamed Corn Cornbread Casserole
More Recipes Like Creamed Corn Cornbread Casserole
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 20 ounces corn kernels frozen
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 package Krusteaz Fire Roasted Cornbread Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To make the creamed corn, melt butter in a large skillet set over medium high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn, sugar, salt, pepper, and heavy cream. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until cream is simmering.
- Once simmering, reduce heat to low.
- Remove half of the corn/cream mixture and blend until smooth in a blender or food processor.
- Return the puree to the pan; stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- If not baking in the skillet, transfer creamed corn to a 9x13 inch pan.
To make the cornbread, stir together water, melted butter, mayonnaise, and full box of Krusteaz Fire Roasted Cornbread mix until blended.
- Spoon mixture over creamed corn.
- Bake casserole for 20-22 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
Sprinkle with Elote topping (included with mix) after baking, if desired.