Cinco de Mayo is coming up and who could resist a day to make fabulous Mexican food at home!? Canned refried beans have nothing on fresh refried beans, and there is seriously no comparison. With this recipe you will have a delicious side of refried beans with hardly any work!
Check out some of my other fabulous Mexican inspired meals that will be perfect for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations!
- 3 cups dry pinto beans , rinsed and sorted
- 1 onion , peeled and halved
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño pepper , seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- 9 cups water
- Rinse pinto beans and remove any that are cracked or broken.
- Place beans, jalapeño, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and bouillon cube in crockpot.
- Cover all ingredients with water.
- Cook on high for about 8 hours.
- Strain beans, but reserve the liquid.
- Mash beans with potato masher and add 1 cup at a time of reserve liquid until they are smooth but not runny (like mashed potatoes).