Cinco de Mayo is coming up and who could resist a day to make fabulous Mexican food at home!? Canned refried beans have nothing on fresh refried beans, and there is seriously no comparison. With this recipe you will have a delicious side of refried beans with hardly any work!
Check out some of my other fabulous Mexican inspired meals that will be perfect for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations!
- 3 cups dry pinto beans , rinsed and sorted
- 1 onion , peeled and halved
- ½ fresh jalapeño pepper , seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- 9 cups water
Rinse pinto beans and remove any that are cracked or broken.
Place beans, jalapeño, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and bouillon cube in crockpot.
Cover all ingredients with water.
Cook on high for about 8 hours.
Strain beans, but reserve the liquid.
Mash beans with potato masher and add 1 cup at a time of reserve liquid until they are smooth but not runny (like mashed potatoes).