When January arrives and we return to our busy schedules, I am all about preparing meals that are quick, easy and require minimal effort. This is especially important when it comes to breakfast, as mornings in my house tend to be the busiest time.
That is why I rely on recipes like this one for Chorizo Egg Muffins. These little protein-packed egg cups are a super tasty eat-on-the-go breakfast that fills us up and keeps us going until lunchtime. Plus, I can make them ahead of time so they are ready and waiting in the fridge all week long.
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a seasoned chopped or ground pork sausage that is commonly used in Spanish and Mexican cuisine. Mexican chorizo is typically made with raw, uncooked pork and seasoned with vinegar and chile peppers. The Spanish variety is usually smoked and made with garlic and paprika, which gives it a deep red color.
Why You’ll Love Chorizo Egg Muffins
- This is the perfect meal prep recipe. I make these on the weekend and keep them in the fridge to use throughout the week. Or if I’m really getting a jump on my meal prep, I will double this recipe and freeze so we are all set for the following week. How great is that?!
- A healthy way to start the day! These low carb, no sugar savory egg muffins are so full of great flavor, you won’t even realize you are eating healthy.
- These egg muffins are super versatile. Serve these muffins up for weekday breakfasts or Sunday brunch. Pack them in lunch boxes, have them ready for an after school snack. And it is also really easy to customize to suit your taste. Try swapping the chorizo for bacon or adding in some veggies (bell pepper and spinach work well). So many possibilities!
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
If you like these Chorizo Egg Muffins and are looking for more savory breakfast ideas, you’ll want to try my Energy Packed Muffins, these Frozen Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches, and this Spiralized Zucchini Breakfast Bake recipe.
- 12 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of minced dried onions
- salt and pepper as desired
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 chorizo link finely chopped
- ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients, except for chorizo and cheese.
- To a well-greased cupcake pan, add in an even layer of egg mixture to each cavity. Top with an even layer of chorizo and cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until eggs are set in the center.