Christmas morning is always a bit chaotic in my home. Between excited/amped kids ready to tear apart every gift, cleaning after the Tasmanian devils, prepping for church, then making the meal for the crowd, there is not a lot of time to spend making breakfast. One of the things I insist upon is that the kids get a nice and somewhat nutritious meal before my entire family comes over later with multiple pounds of cookies and chocolate.
In order to make sure that Christmas morning breakfast actually happens, and we don’t resort to cereal, I have to prep early. I usually make this delicious Spiralized Zucchini Breakfast Bake a few days in advance and freeze it until the morning of. That way, as soon as the kids get up (at 4am), I turn on the oven and throw the casserole in. By the time everyone is finished opening the gifts, breakfast is ready!
Spiralized vegetables were a big hit in 2016 and will continue to be in 2017. If you still have someone on your list to buy for, I highly suggest Oxo’s 2 Blade Hand-Held Spiralizer. It is easy to use and even easier to clean!
What I love about OXO’s 2 Blade Hand-Held Spiralizer is that you can create different sizes of vegetable noodles in a snap! It comes with interchangeable Spaghetti Cut (1/8-in) and Fettuccine Cut (1/4-in) that store on board- which makes anything from zucchini noodles to beet “pasta” possible! The open-blade design accommodates both long and round vegetables, and the food holder keeps hands safe and is easy to grip while turning down to the end of vegetables to minimize waste.
This casserole is not only great for Christmas morning, but also good for any day that you want to ensure a healthy and hearty meal to start the day, but not a lot of time to make it. Make a few in advance and freeze them for the future. Use OXO Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish with Lid that is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass and can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw! Can’t get much easier than that! Enjoy!
- 2 cups frozen hash browns , thawed
- 1 large zucchini , spiralized
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese , jack and cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously spray 2qt baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press hash brows into bottom and sides of baking dish.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs, half and half, and salt and pepper.
- Add veggies and cheese to egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into dish over hash browns.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- If freezing, allow pan to come to room temperature, then freeze.
- When ready to eat, place in oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees bake for 20 minutes after oven has beeped and is 350 degrees. Serves 6.
This post has been sponsored by OXO, however all opinions are 100% my own.