This recipe for Instant Pot Spanish Rice is just the thing to spice up your Taco Tuesdays or any easy meal!
The Instant Pot is my latest kitchen crush. It gives me all the “set it and forget it” convenience that I get from the slow cooker, without having to prep 4-6 hours in advance. Because let’s face it, there are days when I can’t even begin to think about dinner until it’s already 5:00pm.
Thankfully with the Instant Pot, I can have delicious, made-from-scratch Spanish rice are ready to serve in less than 20 minutes, a fraction of the time that the traditional method requires. I really don’t know how I ever managed with out this little kitchen miracle!
What is Spanish Rice?
Spanish rice (or Mexican rice) is also known as arroz rojo. It is made with white rice, onions, peppers, garlic and tomatoes, which gives it a golden reddish color. And in spite of the name, it is not a dish that is known or served in Spain at all.
Why You’ll Love Making Instant Pot Spanish Rice
It really is quick and easy! Not only is it ready in less than 20 minutes, but the genius of the Instant Pot is that it does all the work. That means no more having to watch the pot to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
Making Spanish rice from scratch really does taste better. The flavors are brighter and you’re able to control and adjust the amount of seasoning. That means you can easily tailor this recipe so it suits your family’s preferences.
Spanish rice is so versatile. And because making it in the Instant Pot is so easy (see item #1 above), I’ll often whip up a double batch on Taco Tuesday and stash the extra in the fridge to use throughout the week. It’s perfect for making casseroles, stuffing into wraps, or adding into hearty soups.
More Great Instant Pot Recipes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock can be subbed for vegetable stock to make this a vegetarian recipe
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute mode and add in the olive oil. Let heat for a minute and then add in the onion, garlic cloves and seasonings. Stir for 1-2 minutes to incorporate spices and prevent burning. Add in the rice and cook over saute mode (while stirring constantly) for an addition 1-2 minutes, allowing the rice to become lightly golden brown.
- Turn off saute setting and add in remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot. Close the lid and set the pressure valve to sealing. Set for a manual high temperature for 8 minutes.
- Allow for a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then release any remaining pressure.