Looking for a fun festive treat? These Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Gingerbread Men don’t just look amazing, but they taste incredible too. The whole family will love decorating (and devouring) them as this scrumptious yet simple recipe is suitable for all ages.
WHY WE LOVE THESE CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIE TREAT GINGERBREAD MEN
Spoiler alert, these gingerbread men actually contain no gingerbread. Instead, the name refers to the fun, festive shape that your chocolate Rice Krispie base will be carved into using gingerbread men cookie cutters. If you're craving gingerbread, you’ll love these Frosted Gingerbread Cookie Bars or these Gingerbread Man Sugar Cookies are the real deal.
You’ll struggle to find a family who hasn’t made or eaten the famous chocolate Rice Krispie treats. There’s something about that puffed rice cereal, chocolate and melted marshmallows mix that makes it an irresistible combination. Not to mention a super easy no-bake dessert all ages enjoy making.
As well as being the perfect activity to get your family in the festive spirit, these Christmas Rice Krispie treats are ideal edible gifts, or to sell at holiday bake sales. They’re also the perfect Christmas Eve activity to leave out for Santa if you want to earn a last-minute spot on the nice list.
In keeping with the holiday theme, they are customized with red and green mini M&M’s but candy eyes, confetti sprinkles, gumdrops, and frosting are all strongly encouraged as calories don’t count at Christmas.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Unsalted butter
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Puff rice cereal
- Mini red and green m&ms
- Cookie decorating frosting
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIE TREAT GINGERBREAD MEN FROM SCRATCH
- Prep - Generously grease 1 9x12 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt - In a large pot set over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate chips, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon to avoid burning.
- Stir - Once melted, add marshmallows; stir until melted. Then remove the pan from heat and stir in cereal until fully coated.
- Cool - Transfer the marshmallow cereal mixture to the buttered pan. Gently press the mixture into the pan so that it’s even; cool completely.
- Cut - Once cooled, invert the pan onto a large, lightly greased cutting board. Using gingerbread man cookie cutters coated with cooking spray cut into shapes.
- Decorate - Use cookie frosting and/or candies to decorate.
- Serve - These are best if served the same day, however they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Make sure to separate the layers with parchment or wax paper to avoid sticking.
TIPS AND VARIATIONS
- Clean-up - Wash your pan used for the melted marshmallowy mix asap as the residue can be super tricky to wash off if left too long.
- Family - Use different sized cookie cutters to create a whole gingerbread family.
- No gingerbread men cookie cutters? Experiment with different shapes – triangles can be Christmas trees, circles can become snowmen, squares can be gifts.
- Cooking spray - Triple check the cooking spray used on your cookie cutters is non-stick otherwise your gingerbread men may lose a limb or two.
- Marshmallows - Mini marshmallows are the quickest to melt but if you only have regular marshmallows at hand, these will also work.
- Adding ginger - If you feel a little misled by the ginger-less gingerbread men replace the chocolate with some ground ginger, cinnamon, and molasses for a seasonal twist.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIE TREAT GINGERBREAD MEN
WHAT CAN I USE TO DECORATE MY GINGERBREAD MEN?
It is the festive season after all so when it comes to decoration, go as over the top or as minimal as you wish. Decorating options include; gumdrops, edible glitter, candy eyes, confetti sprinkles, colorful candies, and frosting. You could also dip the chocolate Rice Krispie gingerbread men in melted white chocolate for a snowman makeover.
HOW DO I TURN THESE CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIE TREAT GINGERBREAD MEN INTO POPS?
If you want to avoid sticky fingers by turning them into pops it’s best to use lollipop sticks or paper straws rather than popsicle sticks. This is because popsicle sticks are wider and harder to work with. Push the straw or stick into your chocolate Rice Krispie treat gingerbread men when they’re still a little warm as it’ll be easier.
CAN THIS RECIPE BE MADE USING ONLY A MICROWAVE?
Yes. If you’re concerned about little ones near the stovetop, you can melt the butter, chocolate and marshmallows using the microwave only. Set your microwave to 30 second increments making sure to stir well between each one. Then follow the directions as normal.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE THESE CHRISTMAS RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
If you can resist eating these festive fellows, they can be stored for up to 3 days. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Make sure to use parchment or wax paper between layers to avoid your chocolate Rice Krispie gingerbread men merging.
Did you enjoy decorating and devouring these chocolate Rice Krispie treat gingerbread men? Let me know in the comments below or on social media!
More Festive Sweet Treats You'll Love
These chocolate rice krispie treat gingerbread men don’t just look amazing, but they taste incredible too. The whole family will love decorating (and devouring) these creative Christmas bakes as this scrumptious yet simple recipe is suitable for all ages.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup Unsalted butter
- ½ cup Chocolate chips
- 5 cups Mini marshmallows (heaped)
- 6 cups Puff rice cereal
- ¼ cup Mini red & green M&Ms
- 1 tube Cookie decorating frosting
Generously grease 1 9x12 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large pot set over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate chips, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon to avoid burning.
Once melted, add marshmallows; stir until also melted.
Remove the pan from heat and stir in cereal until fully coated.
Transfer the marshmallow cereal mixture to the buttered pan. Gently press the mixture into the pan so that it’s even; cool completely.
Once cooled, invert the pan onto a large, lightly greased cutting board.
Using gingerbread man cookie cutters coated with cooking spray cut into shapes. Decorate with frosting and/or candies.
These are best if served the same day, however they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Make sure to separate the layers with parchment or wax paper to avoid sticking.