A couple of months ago I attended a tour with the California Farm Water Coalition (read more about it here). Our first stop was to Wawona Frozen Foods. After the tour, we visited their adorable little retail store.
They gave us a few samples of their products. One of these samples were their Peach Jewels, a bite size peach pie cookie. It was absolutely delicious and everyone in our group bought a package. Sadly, these Jewels are not yet available for purchase outside of their store just yet.
Luckily for you though I have recreated them!!! These little bites are just as delicious as the day I tried them at Wawona! This is the perfect little bite to capture summer. The peaches diced then cooked in a syrup then delicately placed into a buttery pie pillow where they are then wrapped up and cooked until golden. While cooking, the syrup slightly caramelizes under the bites making for a bit of a caramel crunch mixed with the peaches and crust.
Make an extra batch and freeze them for cold winter evenings where all you want to think about is summer! Peach Pie Bites are delicious no matter what the season is!
- 2 peaches , skin removed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) very cold butter
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- In a small sauce pan combine peaches, sugar and water.
- Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until the water begins to reduce and becomes more like a syrup.
- Remove from heat, set a side and cool until cool enough to chill for 30 minutes.
- To make the pie crust, combine flour and salt.
- Cut butter into thin slices and add to flour. Combine flour and butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until flour is crumbly.
- Add in ice cold water and mix until all the flour has been incorporated.
- Form 1 to 2 inch balls.
- Flatten balls with hands or rolling pin in circles.
- Place a few chunks of cold peaches into the center of the round.
- Bring all of the sides together and pinch shut.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Cut a small X on the top of the peach bite.
- Once you have formed all of your peach bites, freeze bites for 1 hour.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Before baking, baste each bite with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.