Last year when I attended the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco, I was introduced to many new products. Among those products, I connected with Sweet Works, and their products are some of my favorite decorating items. From using them to top cupcakes, to decor for parties, they always add a special pop of color. I have big plans for these babies for my upcoming parties!
When thinking about Valentine’s Day recipes I knew I wanted to make cupcakes. It seems like it has been a while since I posted an adorable little cake!
Garnished with pink and red Sweet Works Celebration Sixlets, these cupcakes are the perfect way to say I love you. The cupcake and frosting are a delicious vanilla studded with fresh vanilla beans. To be a bit more festive, I dyed the cupcake batter pink for an extra surprise.
Of course my daughter loved these cupcakes for the cute decoration, and my sons gobbled them up. I think these be a great class craft too!
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or regular vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with a splash of white vinegar)
- Pink food coloring
- 1 stick unsalted butter , softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda and mix.
- In your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend butter, sugar and vanilla at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Add a few drops of pink food coloring.
- Reduce speed to low and add a cup of flour followed by 1/3 of the buttermilk.
- Repeat this 3 times, until you have incorporated all the flour and buttermilk.
- Spoon into greased cupcake pan, and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing.
- Beat butter and extract for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and milk or cream. If the frosting still looks to wet, add more powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments.
- Beat with whisk attachment for 3 minutes on high.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with XOXOs.