If you follow me on social media, you may remember me asking you to cross your fingers that this concoction came out, because if it did it was going to be EPIC. Well, I am happy to report that it did in fact turn out and it was beyond epic!
My kids get bored extremely easily with food, so I have to change things up quite a bit. They love when I make pie because they always get to enjoy a slice the next morning for breakfast. They also absolutely love cinnamon rolls and they are a real Sunday morning treat. In an effort to change things up, I decided to combine their 2 favorite things….Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie.
I used two cans of Pepperidge Farms Caramel Pecan Sweet Rolls that I purchased at Walmart. The first can of cinnamon rolls I rolled out together to form a crust. It then layered the pie with a simple apple mixture (a bit of sugar and a nob of butter). Finally, I unrolled the contents of the second can and weaved them on top of the apples. I covered the pie lightly and baked it for about 45 minutes. Easy peasy.
To be honest, I actually made two of these, because I knew that the sweet cinnamon and apple aromas would wake the family up and the would insist on eating it warm. I was right. Thankfully I had another that I was able to photograph before it was gobbled up the next day. Served with a fresh glass of Florida Orange juice and a side of fruit, this is a fun and delicious way to start your day. This apple pie would also make a pretty delicious dessert!
- 2 cans Pepperidge Farms Sweet Rolls
- A sprinkling of flour for rolling
- 3 apples , peeled, cored, and sliced into thin slices
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter , softened
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- On a clean, lightly floured surface, place 6 rolls slightly on top of each other (corners overlapping).
- Roll out rolls until dough is 1/2 an inch thick, and place on the bottom of the pie plate.
- Combine apple slices with sugar and cinnamon. Pour into pie pan.
- Cut butter into thin slices and place nobs all over the apples.
- Unroll remaining two rolls and weave on top of the apples to create a lattice effect.
- Sprinkle with the pecans from the can.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until a knife is easily inserted into the apples.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.