This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #thebestfreshness #CollectiveBias
This Gruyere Broccoli Casserole is a delicious and comforting side dish. An easy to make side dish that’s perfect for easy weeknight dinners and for your holiday table.
The combination of smoky bacon, onions, broccoli and creamy gruyere cheese is so flavorful and satisfying. I guarantee this is a side dish that will soon become a family favorite.
Why You’ll Love Gruyere Broccoli Casserole
I’ve always thought of casseroles as the cooking equivalent to a magic trick. You take a variety of ingredients, put them all together in a casserole dish, pop it in the oven, and voila! Your ingredients are magically transformed into a creamy, dreamy and utterly delicious dish.
And one of my favorite casserole tricks is using frozen veggies. No washing, chopping or prep work. Simply open up a bag and add them right in to the mix. I find this to be a truly life-saving meal prep solution. Especially on those hectic weeknights when I need to get dinner on the table now.
I have several bags Birds Eye® Steamfresh Broccoli Florets stashed in my freezer at all times from Walmart. Not only is it super convenient, it’s a great source of Vitamin C and contains no artificial ingredients, flavors, or colors. Using Birds Eye® Steamfresh Broccoli Florets to dishes like this gruyere broccoli casserole is a great way for me to get my kids to eat their veggies, too.
The other kid-approved vegetable in my house is corn. So when the local farmers’ market is closed for the season, I turn to Birds Eye® Steamfresh Super Sweet Corn. With Birds Eye Steamfresh Selects, you can enjoy specially selected vegetables like super sweet corn, that have been picked at the peak of freshness. And I love that it cooks perfectly in the bag and is ready to serve in minutes. Almost like magic, you might say.
For more easy veggie inspiration, head to the Birds Eye® site!
More Easy Casserole Recipes
Love this Gruyere Broccoli Casserole recipe? Then you’ll definitely want to check out my Brussels Sprouts au Gratin, Spiralized Zucchini Breakfast Bake and this recipe for Southwestern Mac and Cheese.
- 2 10.8 ounce bags Birds Eye® Steamfresh Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 cup crunchy onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in a large pan until crisp. Strain oil reserving 2 tablespoons. Chop into small pieces.
- In the same pan you cooked your bacon, heat reserved bacon grease and butter on medium heat.
- Once melted, add flour and spices and whisk until clumpy.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking constantly until the mixture is thick and coats the back of the spoon.
- Stir in mayonnaise and 1 cup of Gruyere cheese, whisk until smooth.
- Add frozen broccoli to the pan and toss to coat.
- Transfer broccoli mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and crispy onions.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.