Creamy and delicious, Southwestern Mac and Cheese is an easy, no-fuss recipe that is the perfect solution for those busy weeknights. Satisfying rich and cheesy pasta pairs with bold southwestern flavors of tomato, green chilies and cumin. This is one dish that appeals to both kids and adults alike.
If you haven’t made pasta in the slow cooker, you are seriously missing out! I admit I was skeptical at first, as boiling pasta on the stove seemed like a task that was already fairly easy. But being able to dump a bunch of ingredients into the slow cooker, set it and then forget it is a real game changer.
Cooking this dish “low and slow” for several hours allows the flavors to really develop. And getting ahead with my dinner prep makes me feel so darned accomplished. Which all you busy moms know, is a bit of an elusive feeling. I just love being able to go about my day knowing that when the family gathers around the table and it’s time to eat, this hearty and satisfying Southwestern Mac and Cheese will be ready to serve.
Tips for Making Southwestern Mac and Cheese
- You can ramp up the Southwestern flavor even more by using fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
- And if you like a to bring the heat, feel free to swap in a hot salsa for the mild. Or, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red chili flakes.
- Make this meal even heartier by adding in shredded cooked chicken or seasoned ground beef along with the cheese.
- This recipe is a great freezer meal solution. Simply cook as instructed and allow to cool. Then transfer to and airtight freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Great Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for more easy and utterly delicious slow cooker recipes? You’ll want to try these Crock Pot Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches, this recipe for Slow Cooker French Toast, and this Thai Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 8 oz uncooked elbow noodles
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 oz can of diced mild chilies
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese
Add all of the ingredients, except for the cheese, to the slow cooker -combine it gently.
Close lid and cook on low for 3 hours and 30 minutes.
After 3 hours and 30 minutes, add in shredded cheese and close lid. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Once cheese melts, gently mix together the noodles and serve.