To welcome the new year, I am setting aside some time to take stock of my pantry, and even more important, my grocery budget. The holidays are expensive, so for me January is all about getting back on track with meal planning and seeking out ways to cook up inexpensive meals that are still super tasty and satisfying.
Luckily, this recipe for Easy Sage Brown Butter Pasta checks all of the boxes! This pasta meal is a quick and easy way to feed family on a budget, that still packs a ton of flavor and depth. Ready in less than 10 minutes, this is a perfect weeknight dinner that is warm, comforting and sure to please everyone at the table.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter, referred to as beurre noisette in French cuisine, is simply butter that has been cooked long enough to turn the milk solids brown. It has a delectable toasted nutty flavor that gives foods an extra rich depth of flavor.
Pairing brown butter with fragrant garlic and earthy sage makes a wonderful and versatile sauce. Not only is excellent over pasta, like in this recipe, but it is also a great choice for serving with chicken, turkey or fish.
Why Use Egg Noodles?
As the name suggests, these noodles are made from wheat flour and eggs. You can easily substitute egg noodles in place of regular pasta in all of your go-to recipes. Egg noodles are a fantastic, budget-friendly pantry staple that is great to keep on hand. Since they contain a higher proportion of eggs to wheat than regular pasta, they cook up light and fluffy. Egg noodles pair well with a wide variety of sauces. Some brands are made without egg yolks, which means they have no cholesterol and are low in fat and sodium.
More Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes
Looking for more simple dinner recipes? My Instant Pot Five Cheese Ziti is a one-pot meal that is ready in no time at all. Or try this flavorful Quick and Easy Indian Spiced Dinner. And this recipe for Easy Homemade Tomato Basil Soup is perfect for chasing the winter chill away.
- 1 package of egg noodles cooked and drained
- ½ cup of butter
- ½ onion chopped
- 10 leaves of sage finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 can of peas drained
- ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons of Grueyere cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat melt butter and add in onions, and sage. Continue cooking until butter begins to brown, once butter begins to brown, lower heat to low and add in garlic and continue cooking for a minute before adding in noodles, peas, and cheeses.
- Toss ingredients together and keep in stove until noodles heat through.