As the nights become chilly, we are craving warm, cozy meals more and more. Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches make the perfect combination for a delicious fall/winter dinner.
As I was researching what and how to talk about this soup (this doesn’t happen often, but I was at a loss for words today), I came across this from Fine Cooking- “Silky tomato soup is like the little black dress of soups. Unadorned and paired with a simple grilled cheese sandwich, it’s a comforting lunch. Dressed up with simple garnishes, it makes a sophisticated start to a dinner party.”
Simply put, this description describes Tomato Soup perfectly. Top it with some delicious shredded Gruyere cheese, and dip a melty, crispy, hot grilled cheese sandwich slice, and you have the perfect dinner.
Since the soup was so simple to make, I took a bit of extra time on the grilled cheese sandwiches. I had some leftover roasted cabbage that I decided to add along with a couple of slices of ham. The extra crunch from the cabbage and salty flavors from the ham, definitely took this entire meal up a notch.
My husband and kids have requested the same meal tonight despite having it for lunch too. I would say that was a win in my book! I hope you like it too! Enjoy!
- 4 slices bacon , cut into small pieces
- 1 medium sized onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 28- ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cream
- In a large heavy pot, fry bacon over medium heat until it is crispy.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and flour to pot, and stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken broth, spices, basil, and whole tomatoes, bring to a simmer.
- Simmer soup for about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or blender.
- Return pureed soup to pot and stir in cream.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and fresh basil. Enjoy!