Next weekend I will be attending The Big Traveling Potluck. Although the meals will be catered (I think), they asked everyone to sign up to bring cupcakes, appetizer or cookies for a specific day.
Let me tell you about this event. There were only 75 tickets available, and at least half of these tickets were sold to big name bloggers. We’re talking Bakerella (THE cake pop queen), THE PIONEER WOMAN (YES, you read that right. Although she is actually a speaker), Joy the Baker, Two Peas and Their Pod, Picky-Palate, Kevin and Amanda, Bakers Royale, Heather Christo and so many more. All of these people are my blogging idols. Blogs I sip my coffee to every morning.
So I bet you can only imagine how much pressure I have thinking about these people actually eating my cupcakes! MY CUPCAKES! I just got goose bumps.
They need to be perfect. So I was thinking about doing cupcakes in a jar and putting a label on the top with my blog name. Does that sound too egotistical? You kind of have to put a sticker on the lids to add to the cute factor of the jar, and blogging conferences are about networking right? What would you think, and please be honest.
If I do in fact decided to go with the cupcakes in a jar, I am going to do a few flavors, strawberry cupcakes, vanilla bean and salted caramel, something chocolate, and these coconut cupcakes. All of these seem to be my most popular and most requested flavors.
These coconut cupcakes are a personal favorite as well as my mother’s favorite. She called me last week telling me that she had purchased a coconut cupcake from a cupcake store and that it was horrible. Then she somehow coaxed me into coming to her house to bake these cupcakes. We Italians take our cravings seriously. These cupcakes are perfect for coconut lovers. The cake is buttery a sweet with a delicate coconut flavor while the frosting is bursting with coconut.
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 sugar
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with a splash of white vinegar)
- 8 ounces unsalted butter , softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda and mix.
- In your mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend butter, sugar and coconut extract at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Reduce speed to low and add a cup of flour followed by 1/3 of the buttermilk.
- Repeat this 3 times, until you have incorporated all the flour and buttermilk.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Fill each liner 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.
- Turn mixer to low and beat in powdered sugar, add coconut extract.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes.
- Frost each cupcake and dip into a bowl of shredded coconut.