Christmas Spritz Cookies are a must have on your holiday cookie platter. They are easy to make, delicious, and add that much needed pop of color!
A few years back, my neighbor brought me over a big plate of these cookies. After years of passing out holiday treats to my neighbors, this was the first time (and only time) someone did it for me, and it did not go unnoticed. I hope that when I gift a platter of cookies, people appreciate them as much as I appreciated it that day.
These cookies are extremely simple to make that I had my 7 year old make them by herself from start to finish on her own. We make them every year and usually have to immediately make another batch because the first one gets eaten before they have time to cool!
These delicate, crisp cookies have a rich, buttery flavor that’ll keep you coming back for more. I use Plugrá European Style Butter for all of my cookie making, but you can particularly taste the quality in these cookies. I also like to add a bit of almond extract, but if you are not a fan just swap it out for vanilla extract.
I would love to know what kinds of cookies you bake every year! Enjoy!
- 1 cup Plurgá unsalted butter , room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 and 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Green and red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add a few drops of red or green food coloring to butter mixture.
- Add egg and extract and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Stuff dough into cookie press fitted with your desired shape and press cookies onto pan according to cookie press instructions.
- Bake cookies at 400 degrees for 6-9 minutes.
- Cool completely then frost, if desired.