A delicious mini version of a fabulous European cake! These Black Forest Cupcakes take little time to prepare, but present as a fancy intricate dessert!
Last week was a nightmare. I can officially say that the Plague of the year hit our family and hit us hard. After a few weeks of someone being so sick that they required multiple visits to the doctors, I was at my wits end. Thankfully, my husband kindly took over sick parent duties and allowed me a day out this past Saturday doing what I do best….eating. Between two blogger events, we hit 9 restaurants and literally had to be rolled home. I will go more into specifics later.
If there was any a time to give me a break, that was it. I was so thankful that I decided to make him his favorite cake (in cupcake form) on Sunday. These Black Forest Cupcakes came out so cute and delicious that I knew I had to share them with you!
I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe to make these. This recipe is pretty much foolproof and comes out perfect every time. With little bits of cherries in the batter, there is a perfect mix of chocolate and coffee. After baking I basted them with the syrup from the Morello Cherries and topped them with freshly whipped cream and another cherry.
They were perfect little handheld Black Forest Cupcakes. Same flavor as the cake, but a heck of a lot less of a mess. Enjoy!
Chocolate cake studded with Morello Cherries and topped with whipped cream and more chocolate.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or substitute by putting 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cup then filling the rest up with milk; let stand 5 minutes until thickened)
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- Kirsch optional
- 1/2 cup Morello Cherries in syrup or real cherries chopped, plus more cherries for garnish
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- In the large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat until smooth (about 3 minutes).
Remove bowl from mixer and stir in hot coffee with a rubber spatula. Batter will be very runny. Stir in chopped cherries
- Pour batter into cupcake cups 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake cupcakes for about 15 minutes or until knife is inserted and when remove is clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled baste cupcakes with kirsch or for a nonalcoholic version baste with syrup from Morello cherries.
- In a clean bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar on high until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe onto cupcakes or frost with a knife.
- Top with Morello cherrie or real cherry.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
Recipe adapted from https://foodess.com/1982-moist-chocolate-cake.html