This recipe for the Best Homemade Pizookie is every bit as delectable as the infamous restaurant favorite. Not only is the word pizookie fun to say, making your very own homemade pizookie is quick, easy and a whole lot of fun!
What is a Pizookie?
If you aren't familiar with the pizookie, it is a pizza-sized classic chocolate chip cookie baked in a skillet. A pizookie is typically served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and topped off with a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce (or both!). Plus, you can either make one larger pizookie and serve it up pizza slice style, or divide the dough among several smaller, personal-sized skillets.
Making a batch of super fun mini pizookies for a recent family dessert was so much fun! Here's just a few reasons why I think smaller is better when it comes to pizookie baking:
- Small food is adorable! I saw these mini pizookie skillets online and immediately had to get them...they are just so darned cute. Small ceramic ramekins are also great for baking mini pizookies.
- Built-in portion control. Making individual servings of pizookie helps me avoid over indulging, which is bound to happen with something this delectable. Plus, giving each person their very own pizookie means there is no fighting over who gets the larger slice.
- Easy to customize. Once you divide the dough into the individual pans, everyone can have fun adding their favorite toppings and mix-in's to their pizookie before they go into the oven.
But really, whether you make it full-size or miniature, this homemade pizookie recipe really is the ultimate dessert. Because according to my kids, combining pizza and cookies is pretty much the best invention ever.
Customizing Homemade Pizookie
Ready to go beyond the classic chocolate chip pizookie? Then try changing up the ingredients to create your own custom version. Here are some great swaps and additions to try:
- Instead of chocolate chips, use white chocolate chips, butterscotch ships, or mini M&M candies.
- Mix peanut butter into the cookie batter. To make peanut butter chocolate chip pizookies.
- Add in chopped walnuts, pecans or macadamia nuts.
- Sprinkle the top of your pizookie with sea salt flakes before baking.
- Serve with chocolate ice cream or salted caramel flavored ice cream.
- Make it a pizookie sundae: top with whipped cream, hot fudge, rainbow sprinkles and (of course) a cherry.
More Recipes Like Best Homemade Pizookie
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Beat in vanilla and egg.
Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add the chocolate chips; stir to combine.
Press the dough mixture into the bottom of one 8-inch or four 3.5-inch cast iron pans.
Bake for the 8-inch pan for 10-12 minutes or the smaller pans for 8-10 minutes (they will be slightly underdone, but thats what we want!)
Remove from the oven and top with ice cream and caramel or chocolate drizzle and serve!