Are you ready for it? All the pinks, reds and hearts? I am. Not so much the actual holiday, but all the girly colors that come with it. I love red, and pink comes in a close second. So get ready. We will have (hopefully) have lots of frilly nibbles coming up here on The Seaside Baker.
For Christmas my husband bought me the new cookbook from Bake at 350. She is the master of beautifully decorated sugar cookies. I just love buying cooks books by bloggers. I am very proud of them because I know how much passion, work and expense goes into blogging, even though I don’t actually know them and they have absolutely no idea that I even exist. Plus I hope to one day, actually more like 4 years, write a cook book. Hopefully, all of the these blogger cookbooks will bring me good luck, cause that’s how Karma works right. Humm, maybe I should Google Karma.
Anyway I was dying to try Bake at 350’s cut out sugar cookie recipe because everyone raves that there is no chilling of the dough required. The dough and cookie was delicious, but I did have to chill the dough.
- 3 c unbleached , all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 c sugar
- 2 sticks (salted) butter, cold & cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Fit your mixer with the paddle attachment and cream cold butter and sugar.
- Add egg and extracts and mix well.
- Add flour and mix until completely combined, scraping the bowl a few times.
- Dough will be crumbly, but knead it with your hands to form a ball.
- In between two sheets of wax paper, roll dough out to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Remove chilled dough and cut out with your desired cookie cutter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While cooling, prepare your frosting.
- Beat butter and extract for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and milk or cream.
- Beat with whisk attachment for 3 minutes on high.
- Color your frosting with your desired colors and frost cookies generously.
- Add Sprinkles!