Have you ever had or made an appetizer and thought, “I can make a meal out of this”? Well, these Sweet and Spicy Meatballs will be one of those appetizers that will soon become an entrée. At least that is what happened in my house!
I made these for a holiday party last month and they were a huge hit. They were really easy to put together and perfect for entertaining. Anything that can be made in advance is win in my book! I made the meatballs the day before and heated them up and poured the sauce over right before my guests arrived.
These meatballs can be easily substituted with store-bought frozen meatballs, I just don’t like the texture so I always make my own. I used turkey because I thought the white meat would pair better with the marmalade, but ground chicken or pork would work well too. Like I said, they are really easy to make, so I highly suggest you make a double batch. They are addicting! Enjoy!
- For the Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup onion , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/2 cup panko or breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying
- For the Sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- Chopped cilantro and green onions for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredient, except the oil, and mix until combined.
- Shape into 30 meatballs approximately 1" across.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat.
- In batches, cook the meatballs for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through and nicely browned on the outside.
- In a small bowl, combine sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and marmalade.
- Lightly cover, and microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Carefully remove from microwave and stir.
- Toss meatballs with sauce and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions.
- Serve as an appetizer or over rice for a delicious dinner.