Two desserts in one, this Pumpkin Flan Cake boasts a moist pumpkin cake and a custardy pumpkin spiced flan topped with caramel cooked sugar.
I like to call this a surprise Bundt Cake. I have made this Pumpkin Flan Cake twice. The first time I made it, the flan layer magically rose to the top of the cake, while the second time I made it, it migrated to the bottom of the cake. I would love to test it out again, however my hips are screaming “No!” because it is one of those cakes where one slice is just not enough!
Whether you make this just because or for a Fall/holiday dessert, you won’t be disappointed. The combination of rich pumpkin flan and spicy pumpkin cake is a match made in heaven. Then add the caramel layer from the flan and it is over the top delicious.
Now, you can be like me and add an extra layer of whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon, but to be honest, I regretted it the minute that I did it. I apparently lacked pipping skills the day that I photographed this Pumpkin Flan Cake or was simply just too lazy so I just slathered it on. While it was of course a wonderful addition, because when is whipped cream not, but I feel it was so much prettier before adding it. Live and learn, and don’t be lazy was my take away from that. See, even food can offer up some life lessons!
Anyway, if you make it, please let me know what layer your flan ended up on! I will definitely be remaking this for Thanksgiving so I’ll update the post then. Enjoy!
Two of your favorite Fall desserts magically combined into one!
- 1-3/4 cups sugar divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. water divided
- 1 can 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese cubed, softened
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 10-12 cup bundt pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Cook 1 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. water (without stirring) in small saucepan on medium heat 5 min. or until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is deep brown in color.
- Immediately pour into bundt pan.
- Blend evaporated milk, cream cheese, 5 eggs, 3/4 cup pumpkin and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in blender until smooth.
- Pour into bundt pan.
- Beat sugar and oil until smooth.
- Add pumpkin and eggs and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet pumpkin mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour pumpkin cake batter over flan mixture.
- Bake 1-1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely. (Do not remove dessert from pan.) Refrigerate 2 hours. Loosen dessert from sides of pan with knife. Invert onto plate; gently remove pan.