If you have been following my blog for some time then you know that I start planning, prepping, and celebrating the holidays earlier than most. It usually begins in August when I light my winter scented candles and start listening to Christmas music. I am in full blown Christmas prep the day after Halloween. However, once Christmas is over, I am done. As soon as the kids open their gifts, I am itching to take down the decorations. With exception of one year, I wait until the 26th.
Come the 26th I want to begin spring cleaning. The candle scents change to “clean linen” and the flavor profiles in my dessert shift to citrus. Considering we have about 10 citrus trees bursting with fruit, that’s not hard. I literally crave everything (from the cleaning products to the food) that is fresh smelling.
So it is without surprise that my first recipe of the year is this Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake. This cake is studding with lemon juice and rind in the cake, syrup, and glaze. It has the most wonderful citrus flavor and combines perfectly with the poppy seeds.
This cake is the perfect companion to a hot cup of coffee and a great way to begin ushering in longer and warmer days…at least in my opinion. Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray a 10-12 cup bundt pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, around 4 minutes on medium high speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, throughly mixing before adding the next egg.
- Beat in lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Alternately add flour and buttermilk (about 3 times each) mixing until just combined.
- Stir in lemon peel and poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.
- When cake is done, allow to cool for 10 minutes then flip the pan over to remove the cake and allow to cool completely.
- To icing combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in lemon peel.
- Pour over cake and serve.