Lemon Meringue Pie Bars are everything you love about classic lemon meringue pie, packed in a convenient cookie bar form.
Lemon Meringue Pie Bars are a great way to indulge your craving for sweet and tart lemon meringue pie.
Lovely to look at and packed with tons of flavor, these portable cookie bars feature:
- a delicious lemon sugar cookie crust
- Silky, bright and tangy lemon curd center
- Light and airy classic meringue topping
And these Lemon Meringue Pie Bars require just a handful of ingredients (including a quick and easy lemon sugar cookie mix). Plus they cook in less than 30 minutes, yet everyone will think you spent all day baking! Perfect for bringing to potlucks, backyard barbecues, and those school fundraiser bake sales.
What is Meringue?
Meringue is a whipped mixture of sugar and egg whites. It is used to lighten soufflés, mousses and cakes. And what it us most well known for, as a topping for pies and other desserts like Baked Alaska.
More Dessert Bar Recipes Like Lemon Meringue Bars
- 1 Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Cookie Mix pouch
- 1 large egg
- ½ 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup lemon curd
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Stir egg, butter, and cookie mix together until dough forms.
- Evenly press dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- While cookie base is still warm, spread evenly with the lemon curd.
- In a clean, dry bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Spread egg white mixture over lemon curd.
- Bake bars for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until meringue topping begins to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and cool completely then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, cut into squares and serve immediately.