I have so many lemons and limes on my fruit trees that literally everything that we have been consuming includes citrus. Not that it bothers me though, as lemon/lime is one of my favorite ingredients!
Madeleines are a delicious “cookie” that are super simple to make and they store beautifully. They have quickly become one of my favorite things to make for holidays and parties, and will be a beautiful addition to my Easter dessert table. They also go perfectly with a nice cup of hot tea.
Thankfully, due to my last Madeleine post, I have learned how to spell it correctly. I made the mistake of naming the post Madelines, the same way my sister spells her name, and man was I called out for it! Lesson learned LOL. Anyway, this recipe is great for an everyday treat or a special occasion, and a perfect way to use up excess lemons and limes. Enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- and cooled
- Lemon- Lime Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour madeline pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract for 5 minutes on medium high speed.
- Once batter is pale and have doubled in volume, gently fold in lemon and lime zest.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add sifted flour in three parts, gently folding flour into egg batter after each addition.
- Slowly pour butter into batter while folding it in.
- Spoon about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of batter into each shell.
- Bake Madeleines for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan then cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon and lime juice; stir until smooth.
- Either dip tops of madeleines into the glaze or pour over. Place on wire rack to dry.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an air tight container for up to one week. Freeze for up to one month.