This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FrighteninglyFunFlavors Add a bit of batty to your Halloween Root Beer Floats this year with cute bat sugar cookies and some bat food. The kids will love it!
In case you have not yet noticed, Halloween is pretty much our favorite time of year. We begin decorating the inside of the house in August. I tend to get a bit excited and make way more Halloween inspired treats than I post on the blog, which means we have a ton of creepy treats around the house.
This prompts us to have a halloween party any chance we get. The neighborhood kids are all playing together? Let’s have a party! My son has all of his high school buddies over, let’s serve them Bat Halloween Root Beer Floats. Teen boys are the best by the way. They turn into little excited boys when they see a table made up and halloween inspired treats.
Putting together a cute bat inspired Halloween Root Beer Float station is so easy. It makes it even easier when the cute A&W® Minicans fit the theme too, which is why I picked up a few packs as soon as I saw them available at Walmart. My kids know when I break out the Sunkist®, 7UP®, Squirt® and the Canada Dry® Minicans, it’s a party! What they secretly don’t know is that I always have a stash of these minicans for guests. You can snag all 5 spooky characters right now at your local Walmart!
To make the bat cookies, I made my favorite chocolate sugar cookie dough. I then cut the cookies out with a bat cookie cutter, and used a straw to poke a hole in the bottom center before baking. After baking, I reinforced the whole with the straw and decorated them once cooled.
I served the cookies with the Halloween Rootbeer Floats and the kids went wild! The “bat food” worms were a huge hit too!
Even if you put together something as simple as a Root Beer Float bar or throw a whole haunted shindig, it’s these fun memories that will never be forgotten!
Check out this site for more Frighteningly Fun inspiration!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract optional
- Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Jimmy Sprinkles
- Candy Eyes
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- A&W® Minicans
- Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Put a handful of the freshly made dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to desired thickness.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Put the rolled dough, including the parchment paper, on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes or longer.
- Cut dough with bat cookie cutters and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Using a straw, poke a hole in the lower half of the bat body.
- Bake at 350° F for 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and poke the same hole again with same straw.
- Let cool before decorating.
- Spread the entire cookie, except the hole, with chocolate frosting and top with the jimmies and eyes.
- Allow to set for 20 minutes before serving.
To make the Root Beer Floats, place 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into each glass. Top with 1 A&W® Minican.