Add a new twist on the classic lemon bar. These Grapefruit Coconut Bars are the perfect way to lighten up the day!
For the last 4 weeks, I have pretty much been on house arrest with exception of the few hours it takes me everyday to drop off and pick up the kids. Four weeks ago, our dog had puppies! While it is an amazing experience for the kids (and us), damn it is a lot of work! I feel like all I do is clean up after the pups and my kids. Thankfully, that will hopefully change with Sunday’s delivery of a Roomba and an IRobot mopper!!!!! Do any of you have one? Do they work? I am praying that it will help me, because otherwise I just may go insane. BTW isn’t she just adorable?
On a positive note, me being stuck at home results in quite a few new recipes for the blog. There’s nothing like a batch of cookies or cake to mask the smell of puppies, lol. Well that and a corporate sized bottle of Mrs. Meyers cleaning solution.
We had a bunch of friends come over last weekend to have puppy snuggle time and each one literally went home with a cake and a few of these bars. I received a ton of texts that night telling me how much they loved the grapefruit version of the traditional lemon bar. If you like grapefruit, then you will love these bars. They have a slight tang that pairs perfectly with the sweet coconut shortbread crust. They are quite refreshing too, and make a beautifully colored dessert plate.
Just like lemon bars, they are easy to make and perfect for a crowd. So, if you are tired of tradition, make these instead! Enjoy!
- 16 tablespoons or 2 sticks of butter , softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated grapefruit peel
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine butter, flour, shredded coconut, coconut extract, powdered sugar, and salt in a bowl until the dough resembles small pea-sized pieces
- Pat dough into the bottom of the pan evenly
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove crust from oven, and then start to prepare filling while the crust is cooling
- For the filling, blend eggs, sugar, flour, grapefruit juice and peel until all are combined (note it will be lumpy, but will smooth out during baking)
- Pour filling over crust
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the sides begin to loosen from the pan
- Allow to cool: right before serving, cut into bars, sift with powdered sugar and serve immediately