Homemade Vanilla Funfetti Cake is easy to make and is perfect for celebrations!
I don’t care if you’re nine or 90 — everyone loves a good Funfetti Cake! There is nothing like digging into a fluffy and moist slice of cake dotted with colorful sprinkles to bring out your inner child. A generous coating of icing and an extra serving of sprinkles are, well, icing on the cake!
Homemade Vanilla Funfetti Cake
To a lot of people, the words “Funfetti Cake” mean a box of Funfetti cake mix and a tub of Funfetti icing. There is nothing wrong with that, and that box and tub will certainly get you to Funfetti Cake heaven in no time at all!
But… this recipe is going to give you a homemade Vanilla Funfetti Cake. I definitely use boxed cake mixes from time to time (my Strawberry Mini Bundt Cakes, for example, use a box of white cake mix), but there is just nothing better than building a beautiful cake from scratch.
The secret to making this homemade Funfetti Cake is, of course, a cup (yes, an entire cup — we’re here to celebrate, aren’t we?!) of confetti sprinkles. This will give you that famous Funfetti Cake look with colorful sprinkles infused throughout the cake.
Funfetti Cake Icing
To ice your homemade Vanilla Funfetti Cake, you’re going to whip up a batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Yes, it is absolutely as amazing as it sounds! While that tub of Funfetti icing may be tempting, trust me when I say… this is so much better.
It takes about 20-25 minutes to make but truly makes this cake spectacular. A generous garnish of sprinkles on top will give your cake that bright and colorful Funfetti Cake look!
This homemade Vanilla Funfetti Cake is perfect to serve at birthday parties, graduation parties, or at any celebration where you want to put a big smile on everyone’s face. Enjoy!
A cake that's easy to make and perfect for celebrating!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cup milk room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup confetti sprinkles
- 9 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 pound unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8” cake pans.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of your mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter and beat until mixture is sandy.
- Create a well in the center and add eggs and egg whites, oil, vanilla, and milk, beating until just combined.
- Stir in confetti sprinkles.
- Evenly pour batter into cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean. Cool pans completely on a wire rack.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar together in a heat-proof bowl.
- Place bowl over a pot of boiling water and stir until mixture has dissolved and is no longer grainy.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of your stand mixer attached with whisk attachment and whisk on high until the bottom of the bowl is no longer hot and mixture is white and has doubled in size, about 8 minutes
- Add softened butter and increase mixer speed to high for 10-15 minutes.
- Once frosting has come together, whisk in salt and vanilla.
- Frost cooled cakes and garnish with sprinkles.