Last week, Melissa’s Produce sent me a delightful box of summertime goodies. I unfortunately was not able to get a picture but the box, but it included a whole baby coconut, nectarines, rhubarb, peach bites, fava beans and a tiny melon. We were asked to create a recipe using at least 3 of the ingredients in the box, a sort of chopped challenge.
Melissa’s Produce is always perfectly ripe and fresh. They have a wide variety of fruits and vegetables from around the world. Make sure to check out their Facebook page for fun facts and in season produce.
These bars are wonderful with any fruit combination. I made these a couple of years ago with blueberries and raspberries and they were so delicious, people are always requesting them. If you are pinched for time, substitute a yellow boxed cake mix for the dry ingredients in the crust (instructions below).
- For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
- 1/2 stick butter , melted (4 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nectarines
- 1/2 cup chopped peaches
- 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar for garnish
- Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry crust ingredients together.
- If you would like to just use a boxed yellow cake mix, omit the first 4 ingredients and add melted butter and egg to dry mix.
- Press into bottom and sides of pan.
- For the custard I use a blender but you can also use a mixer.
- Mix or blend melted butter, milk and eggs until combined.
- Add sugar, flour, salt and vanilla until completely combined.
- Scatter fruit on uncooked crust and pour custard over the berries and crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Cool completely and refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting.
- Sift powdered sugar on top right before serving.
Check out what other fabulous San Diego Food Bloggers made with their produce package.
I received a box from Melissa’s Produce to participate with the SD Food Bloggers however I received no compensation.