The other day when I was feeling under the weather, one of my good friends stopped by with a bag of tea, cough drops and this incredibly delicious soup. Friends are priceless!
The soup was so delicious that my three children, my husband and I were all fighting for the next spoonful out of the little tupperware. Hence, why they are all sick now too! I was astonished that even my pickiest eater was devouring the soup.
It is simple, yet full of flavor. The best part? It takes minimal effort and not more than 30 minutes of your time to put this healthy, comforting soup on the table for dinner. I have already made it twice this week and paired it with a simple prosciutto panini and some crispy grilled cheese sandwiches. Each time, the bowls were licked clean!
- 1 large head of Cauliflower
- 2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
- 2 shallots or one onion , diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 Sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup milk , cream, or half and half
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar , shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano , shredded
- Truffle oil for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté the shallots with the olive oil until translucent.
- Coarsely chop the cauliflower and add it to the pot.
- Pour the chicken broth over the cauliflower and add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Give it a quick stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and simmer on medium high for about 15 minutes.
- Once cauliflower is tender, and falling a part, add milk.
- With an immersion blender, or a stand blender, mix the soup until your desired consistency. I liked mine with a few small chunks for texture.
- Stir in cheeses.
- Serve in bowls and drizzle with truffle oil.