If you're looking for a refreshing summer cocktail, look no further than the empress gin cocktail. Made with empress gin, lemon juice, and sparkling water, this fruity drink is perfect for sipping by the pool or enjoying at a backyard barbecue.
My go to drink is typically a gin sour or a dirty martini, however I decided to try something new last week at my favorite bar. The bartender surprised me with this simple cocktail served in a small coupe glass. The blue color alone made me love it, but it truly had an exquisite taste. I knew I had to remake it at home!
The empress gin gives the drink a beautiful lavender color, and the lemon juice adds a tartness that's balanced out by the sweetness of the sparkling water. Whether you're entertaining guests or simply enjoying a night in, this empress gin cocktail is sure to please
This Cocktail is a twist on a classic mojito switching out the lime for lemon and rum for gin. It’s a fresh drink with a sweet and sour flavor profile. The Empress gin turns from dark indigo to a paler pinkish purple due to the acidity of the lemon juice making it the color of an empress.
WHY WE LOVE THIS FRUITY GIN COCKTAIL
- Perfect summer cocktail- If you're looking for a refreshing summer cocktail, look no further than the empress gin cocktail. This fruity drink is perfect for sipping on a hot day. It's beautiful blue hue from the purple gin is wonderful for summer parties too.
- It’s super easy to make- All you have to do is muddle, pour and serve. You can whip this summer drink in less than 5-minutes.
- Incredibly refreshing- The tart citrus flavors are perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the fruit juice, and the gin gives it just enough of a kick. Plus, it's so pretty to look at.
- Mint Leaves
- Empress Gin
- Simply syrup
- Lemon juice
- Soda water or tonic water
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS FOR THESE PURPLE COCKTAILS
- Make your own simple syrup: To make simple syrup all you need to do is add 1 cup of sugar to a pan along with 1 cup of water. Bring it to a gentle simmer for a few minutes then leave to cool. You can make this in smaller or larger quantities - just remember to use the same volume of sugar to water. Simple syrup will keep for at least 2 weeks in a sealed bottle in the fridge.
- Use different berries: You can use any berries you prefer. Any berry or fruit will be delicious!
- Lemon juice: We used freshly squeezed lemon juice, but you could use bottled lemon juice as well. I've tried it with pink grapefruit juice and orange juice as well. The addition of citrus juice (pink) does change the signature color, but still very delicious.
- Soda water: You can use any flavor of sparkling water, club soda, soda water, seltzer water, or fizzy water that you prefer.
- Festive Empress Gin: Turn this favorite cocktail into a holiday drink by replacing the berries with cranberries!
RECOMMENDED TOOLS TO MAKE THIS PERFECT COCKTAIL
- Cocktail muddle
HOW TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE EMPRESS GIN COCKTAIL
Whether you're entertaining guests or just looking to relax with a nice cold drink, this empress gin cocktail is sure to hit the spot. Follow the steps below to whip it up in a jiffy.
- Place the blueberries and mint leaves in your glass and muddle them gently.
- Then, fill the glass with ice and add the Empress gin.
- After you’ve added the gin, add an ounce of simple syrup and fresh lemon juice.
- Finally, top the glass off with the soda water.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and a couple of mint leaves if you choose.
- Stir and Enjoy!
- Start with high quality gin. Empress gin is made with 11 botanicals, so it's important to use a good base spirit that will really showcase the flavors.
- Use fresh citrus. A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime really brings out the brightness of the gin.
- Be careful with the sweetener. You don't want to overpower the delicate flavors of the gin, so use just a touch of simple syrup or honey.
- Use a cocktail shaker before pouring in the glass, if desired. This will help chill the cocktail without watering it down with ice.
- Garnish with other items such as lime wedge, edible flowers, grapefruit peel, a rose petal for an additional floral flavor.
- I do not recommend storing this cocktail.
- Only make what you plan to drink.
- You may place it in the refrigerator for an hour or 2 if you need to- if you don't drink it all first.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is muddling?
Muddling the blueberries and mint simply means to squash them gently and release their juices and flavors. You can use the back of a spoon to do this if you don’t have a cocktail muddle.
What is Empress Gin?
Empress 1908 gin is created using a special distilling process that infuses the gin with a vibrant blue hue. It is made with butterfly pea flowers or butterfly pea blossom which gives the gin a natural indigo hue. It was inspired by the Fairmont Empress Hotel in British Columbia and is distilled in small batch copper-pot stills.
The gin is then bottled in a stunning black and gold bottle, making it a truly luxurious spirit. But what does this unique gin taste like? Empress 1908 has a delicate juniper flavor, with hints of citrus and floral notes. The result is a smooth and refreshing gin that has a delicate aroma and is perfect for sipping on its own or mixing into a cocktail. If you're looking to try something new and exciting, empress gin is the perfect gin choice. You can find it at most liquor stores or online retailers. It also makes a great gift for the gin lover in your life.
Is an empress gin cocktail gluten-free?
Yes, this cocktail is gluten-free as long as you use a gluten-free empress gin. There are many brands of gluten-free empress gin available on the market today.
How do you make clear ice?
If you are making homemade ice and would like it clear, you can use using distilled water, boiled then cooled water, or water that comes out of a reverse-osmosis (RO) system. While It may not come out perfectly crystal clear, the ice cubes will not appear cloudy.
Can I make a mocktail version?
Yes! Simply substitute the empress gin for sparkling water or lemonade. We also love a good Lavender Lemonade or Strawberry Lemonade during the summer.
OTHER CLASSIC COCKTAILS YOU MAY ENJOY
- 10 blueberries plus extra to garnish
- 5 mint leaves plus extra to garnish
- 2 ounces Empress Gin
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Soda water to top up
Put the blueberries and mint leaves into a glass and muddle them gently.
Fill the glass with ice then add the Empress gin followed by the simple syrup and lemon juice.
Finally, add soda water to the top of the glass.
Garnish with fresh blueberries and a couple of mint leaves.
Stir and serve immediately.
• This cocktail recipe is a twist on a classic mojito switching out the lime for lemon and rum for gin. It’s very fresh with a sweet and sour flavor profile. The Empress gin turns from dark indigo to a paler pinkish purple due to the acidity of the lemon juice.
• Muddling the blueberries simply means to squash them gently and release their juices. You can use the back of a spoon to do this if you don’t have a cocktail muddle.
• To make simple syrup all you need to do is add 1 cup of sugar to a pan along with 1 cup of water. Bring it to a gentle simmer for a few minutes then leave to cool. You can make this in smaller or larger quantities - just remember to use the same volume of sugar to water. Simple syrup will keep for at least 2 weeks in a sealed bottle in the fridge.