This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweeterTogether #CollectiveBias
All year, I long for summer BBQ’s and cool treats to offset the heat. It is a time that we catch up with friends around the farm table while our kids play in the trees and cover themselves in a mixture of dirt and melted ice cream. These simple evenings are when we are really able to relax and soak in what a beautiful life we have.
While I try to keep it simple, I still want my guests (and husband because he is rather spoiled) to enjoy a delicious meal. These Cowboy Burgers, layered with homemade BBQ sauce, crispy bacon, and perfectly fried onion rings, are certainly gourmet, yet simple and delicious. Cooking the burgers on the grill and setting up the deep fryer outside, I am still able to converse with my friends and enjoy the longer daylight hours.
A frozen dessert is almost mandatory to offset the California heat. I like to keep it simple during the summer, and love to serve a scoop or two of ice cream. Like my burgers, the ice cream is simply made and simply delicious. DREYER’S SLOW CHURNED® Simple Recipes are made with real, simple ingredients. Containing no artificial colors, flavors or GMO Ingredients, the ice cream is proudly made with fresh milk & cream with no rBST, making it the perfect dessert to serve my kids and guests. With real caramel perfectly swirled in the vanilla custard, DREYER’S SLOW CHURNED® Caramel Delight Light Ice Cream, has quickly become our favorite dessert (and sometimes breakfast)!
I like to make a huge batch of homemade BBQ sauce at the beginning of summer, considering we use it almost daily. It only takes about 25 minutes to make, and is the perfect balance of sweet, smoky, and spicy. To make it, I simply sauté the onion and garlic in a bit of oil, then add the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, and spices. I allow this to simmer for about 20 minutes, then blend it with my immersion blender for a smooth finish. Once done, I store it in jars in the fridge for up to 4 weeks (but it never lasts that long).
This homemade BBQ sauce is perfect for a dipping sauce, marinade, or burger condiment, and will be a hit at your next party! Make sure to pick up all of your ingredients and DREYER’S SLOW CHURNED® Ice Cream in the ice cream aisle at Walmart the next time you are out and about! If you happen to be heading there during the month of June, check out this list to see if there will be an ice cream demo in your area.
So tell me, what is your favorite ice cream flavor?!?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground chipotle powder
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 pound of cooked bacon
- Baked or fried onion rings
- Homemade BBQ sauce
- Whole wheat buns
- To make the BBQ sauce, heat oil in a large skillet on medium low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcesteshire sauce, and spices.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If you would like a smooth finish, blend sauce in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Store sauce in a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the Cowboy Burgers, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and spices in a large bowl and gently mix together.
- Gently shape mixture into burgers about ¾ inch thick.
- Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the centre of each burger to prevent puffing up during cooking.
- Place burgers on a preheated grill, close lid& BBQ until no longer pink inside, turning once, about 6 – 8 minutes per side.
- Cover patties with cheese and continue to cook until cheese is melted.
- To assemble to Cowboy Burgers, smear the homemade BBQ sauce on both sides of the bun.
- Layer with bacon, burger patty, more bacon, and onion rings.
- Cover with top bun and enjoy immediately!