The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence. All opinions are mine alone. #StellaArtoisRecipe #StellaArtoisPartner #StellaArtois
Savor the last bits of summer with friends over a bowl of Cilantro Beer Broth Mussels and a cold bottle of Stella Artois®. The beer not only pairs perfectly with the dish, but brings a depth of flavor to the mussels. Add a bit of fresh cilantro and chopped jalapeños for a tasty yet simple meal.
With only a few more weeks of summer left, now is the time to cherish it. I absolutely love having small intimate gatherings with friends and family and enjoying a simple meal outside with a cold drink. It’s moments like these that I live for. My go to beer is Stella Artois and it’s truly a beer for all. It’s a premium beer that’s made with the finest ingredients and brewing heritage dating back more than 600 years. Their rich history is paired with the rich flavor in every bottle, and it shows.
The Stella Artois® Solstice Lager is a new beer perfect for sun-filled summer days and warm evenings. The delicious, refreshing golden lager with subtle citrus notes and triple filtered for a smooth dry taste and a crisp finish, which adds a delicious finish to the mussels. Not only is it delicious in the broth, but also is the perfect pairing to sip on while enjoying the meal with friends and family. I grabbed all my fresh ingredients at my local Ralphs, and you can find Solstice Lager at your local supermarket or other locations.
HOW TO CLEAN AND DEBEARD MUSSELS
To clean the mussels, place them in a colander. Run cold water over them and gently clean off any debris. If using fresh mussels (not frozen) make sure that they are still alive and not open. If mussels are open, tap gently. If the mussel closes the shell, it is still alive, if it does not, it is dead and needs to be discarded.
To debeard the mussels, grab the beard and pull towards the hinge of the shell to remove.
HOW TO STEAM MUSSELS
The first step to steaming a pot of mussels is to create the broth.
- Saute the sliced shallots and garlic in a bit of olive oil.
- Add the diced jalapeno.3. Pour in 1 12 ounce bottle of Stella Artois or Stella Artois Solstice Lager and a half cup of vegetable broth.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
5. Bring broth to a simmer.
6. Once simmering, add the cleaned mussels, cover, and steam for 6-8 minutes, or until mussels have opened. Discard any that have not.
7. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy with a sliced baguette.
8. You can also make these on the grill, using the same process. Just make sure you are using a skillet!
So this next weekend set your table outside, turn on the string of lights, pop open a Stella, and sit back and enjoy a fun filled evening with friends and family over a delicious bowl of mussels. Be sure to keep an eye out for their Stella Artois® Midnight Lager this fall and other seasonal offerings this year.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-sized shallot finely sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic finely diced
- ½ jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 1 12- ounce bottle Stella Artois lager
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 5 pounds fresh mussels cleaned and debearded
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Lemon halves for serving
- Sliced baguette for serving
In large pot or skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
Add shallots and garlic and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add jalapeno and saute for an additional minute.
Pour in lager and vegetable broth; cover and bring to a simmer.
Once simmering, add mussels.
Place lid on pot and cook mussels for 6-8 minutes or until they have opened. Discard any that have not.
Serve hot with lemon wedges and sliced baguette.