For the last few years I have been without a valid passport. It was always on my list of things to do, but I somehow never got around to doing it. Well, when we booked our Europe tickets last year, it was something that had to be done! Now that I have it, I want to go everywhere!
About two weeks after returning home from Europe, I took a day trip down south the Mexico. I had been wanting to do it forever! A friend and I left early and made our way to Puerto Nuevo for some fresh lobster and shopping. If you are a lobster fan, this is where you need to go!
For about $20 per person, we got huge fresh delicious lobster with melted butter, rice, beans, chips, salsa, and soup. So much delicious food!!! We of course could not resist a couple margaritas. Let me tell you that margaritas in Mexico are not the same as in the States! After two, I was walking on the clouds!
After lunch we did some shopping. The candies and dried fruit displays were spectacular, and they drive a hard bargain.
After shopping we decided to head back home. Although stuffed to the brim, I could not resist the fresh Churros that were being made right next to our car. Since we sat for about 2 hours, I got out and had them make a few fresh batches to eat and take home. All in all it was an amazing afternoon, and one that I will be doing again next weekend!
While shopping, my friend recommended that I buy this caramel sauce, Cajeta. I couldn’t actually see it as it was wrapped up in thin wood and plastic but I took her word for it. HOLY CARAMEL-this stuff is to die for!!
I wanted to cook with it so that I could get it out of my house. For some reason the thing is a magnet to a spoon and my mouth. Since it is fall, Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls were a must.
Now if you can’t get your hands on this liquid gold, regular caramel sauce will do the trick. I also drizzled the caramel over the tops along with a simple vanilla bean glaze. We enjoyed the rolls for breakfast and dessert. My thighs were exceptionally happy when the rolls (and caramel) were gone. Enjoy!
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour , plus more for rolling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package instant yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 cup milk , warmed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Caramel Sauce for drizzle (optional)
- Vanilla Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, combine warm milk, melted butter.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour milk mixture and egg into the center.
- With your mixer attached with the dough hook, or your hands, knead dough until it forms a ball and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough in a well greased bowl and lightly cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rest in a dark cool corner until it doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
- While dough is rising, make apples.
- In a medium sized saucepan set on medium heat, melt butter.
- Add apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon and cook until the apples are soft, stirring often, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- When dough has doubled in size, punch down.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16x9 inch rectangle.
- Spread Caramel Sauce over dough.
- Sprinkle with cooked apples and cinnamon.
- Tightly roll the dough beginning with the long side.
- Pinch together the edges.
- Slice rolls evenly into 9 large or 12 medium sized rolls.
- Place rolls into a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise again while you are preheating your oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 15-18 minutes or until the centers are lightly golden brown in color.
- Allow to cool while making the vanilla drizzle.
- To make the vanilla glaze, combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle caramel sauce and vanilla glaze over rolls if desired.