This Blackberry Lemon Curd Cake is studded with blackberries inside and out, layered with sweet lemon curd, and topped with silky cream cheese frosting.
I just can’t seem to get enough of these glorious blackberries that I keep finding at the farmer’s market. Like I said in my Blackberry Syrup post, they are huge-two bite pieces of deliciousness!
As much as I love just munching on them, I absolutely love added them to baked goods. Their natural sweetness and beautiful purple color add so much to a dessert, especially a cake.
I know I say it every time I make a cake, but this Blackberry Lemon Curd Cake may be my new favorite. I love lemon flavored everything and adding blackberries just sets it over the top.
I wanted to keep things simple in terms of decoration and really just let the fruit shine. Besides, who wants to spend time decorating a cake in this heat?
These fresh berries are pretty much the only thing keeping me baking right now. Without them, I’m totally jonesing for Fall and everything Pumpkin Spice. I know, I know, it is still summer. But just so you know, be prepared. Be very prepared! Pumpkin spice season is coming!
Until then though, enjoy this delicious Blackberry Lemon Curd Cake.
Simple to make and elegant, the fresh blackberries are the star of the cake!
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 cup blackberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 9 inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing throughly in between each addition.
- Mix in vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.
- Add 1/3 of the flour to the butter/egg mixture, mixing on low.
- Mixing just enough to combine, add 1/3 of the buttermilk.
- Continue until all of the flour and buttermilk has been incorporated, again mixing until just combined (do not over mix!).
- Fold in blackberries.
- Evenly distribute cake batter into pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly in cake pans for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine the cream cheese and butter and beat on medium until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon zest, and beat on medium speed scraping down the bowl and beaters as necessary, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Once cake is cooled, place first layer on stand.
- Pipe an outline of the cake with the frosting.
- Fill with the lemon curd and blackberries.
- Top with next layer and cover with frosting, blackberries, and lemon zest.
- For best results, serve the same day.