Cherries and almonds are two flavors that were made for each other. If you've never tried them together, you're in for a real treat! This almond cherry bread recipe is simple to make, and it's perfect for breakfast or a snack.
Almond cherry bread is a scrumptious quick bread and easy recipe that's perfect for breakfast or brunch. It's packed with plump, juicy cherries and has a delicate almond flavor. The cherries add a pop of color and sweetness, while the almond extract gives the bread a lovely aroma.
This recipe is easy to follow and yields a tender, moist loaf that’s perfect any time of the day. If you’re looking for a quick and easy snack, this almond cherry bread recipe is just what you need.
WHY WE LOVE THIS ALMOND CHERRY BREAD RECIPE
- Perfect flavor combination. Almond cherry bread is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy flavors.
- Moist and delicious. The bread is moist and packed with plump, juicy fresh cherries. The almonds add a nutty flavor and crunchy texture.
- Perfect anytime. This bread is perfect for breakfast, snacking, or even dessert. Almond cherry bread is easy to make and can be enjoyed fresh out of the oven or sliced and served with a cup of coffee or tea, making it one of our favorite quick bread recipes.
- Frozen for later- enjoy this classic cherry bread any time of the year by freezing loaves for up to 6 months!
- Cherries, pitted
- Lemon juice
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Canola oil
- Granulated sugar
- Almond extract
- Plain yogurt
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Sliced almonds
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
- Lemon Juice: I recommend fresh lemon juice over bottled, but bottled can be used if that’s all you have.
- Use any oil: If you don’t have canola oil, you can use vegetable oil or olive oil instead.
- Plain yogurt: Plain yogurt or greek yogurt can be substituted with sour cream if you choose. It works the same way to make your bread moist and delicious.
- Almond extract: Almond extract gives your bread a nutty flavor, but if you don’t have any, you can use vanilla extract instead.
- Add chocolate chips: make this delicious cherry bread chocolaty with some chocolate chunks or chips.
RECOMMENDED TOOLS TO MAKE THIS EASY QUICK BREAD RECIPE
- 9x5 loaf pan or bread pan
- Butter or shortening for greasing
- Parchment paper
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Wire Cooling rack
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY ALMOND CHERRY BREAD
This bread can be enjoyed on its own or used as a base for other desserts such as chocolate cherry bread or almond cake. Follow the steps below to make a delicious treat.
- First, preheat the oven to 350℉. Then, grease a 9x5 loaf pan with shortening or butter, and line it with a long piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Stir the cherries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of flour in a small bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, make the flour mixture by whisking together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set it to the side.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the canola oil and sugar.
- Next, add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely mixed. Then, add the almond extract, and whisk until just combined.
- Pour half the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing well. Then, add the remaining dry ingredients with the yogurt, and fold everything together with a spatula. Pro Tip: The batter will be thick with some lumps. This is normal.
- Once the batter is done, fold in the cherries to the bread batter and stir with a wooden spoon until they are evenly distributed in the batter.
- Spread the batter into your prepared loaf pan and cover loosely with a piece of foil.
- Bake the quick bread for 1 hour. Remove the foil, and then bake for another 20-minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the almond cherry bread cool on a cooling rack for 30-minutes.
- While the bread is cooling, make the glaze.
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract in a small bowl. Stir together until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cooled bread and top with sliced almonds.
- Serve at room temperature or warm. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CHERRY BREAD
- Use room temperature eggs. Room temperature eggs work best for baking. Just let the eggs sit on the counter for about 30-minutes before using.
- Don’t pack the flour. Instead, use a spoon to scoop the flour into your measuring cup and level it off with a butter knife.
- If the glaze is too thick, add more milk by the tablespoon. If the glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar by the tablespoon until the right consistency is reached.
- Be sure to dust the cherries with flour. Adding a little bit of flour to the cherries ensures that they won’t fall to the bottom of the cake while baking.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
- The bread can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If you want the bread to last longer, store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil.
- Thaw the bread before serving.
SWEET BREAD FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does this easy cherry bread recipe take to make?
This recipe takes about 25-minutes to prep, an hour and 20-minutes to bake, and 30-minutes of cooling time. So, it should be ready in about 2 hours and 15-minutes.
What cherries should I use?
I used large, sweet cherries, but you can use any cherries you prefer. You can also use frozen pitted cherries. Toss them with a bit of flour while still frozen and stir them into batter. I haven’t tried this recipe to make a maraschino cherry bread however I bet it would be good! Maraschino cherries will be sweeter and may turn the a cake pink color with their extra syrup, but be sure to drain them before using.
How do you pit cherries?
To pit the cherries, slice them in half with a paring knife and pull out the pit. Make sure to wear an apron and gloves to prevent the cherry juice from staining your clothing or hands. If you're like me and have bought a surplus of fruit this cherry season, buy this cherry pitter. It is seriously the best for when you have large quantities of fruit to pit.
OTHER QUICK BREAD RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 1 ½ cups fresh cherries pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons for dusting cherries
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
In a small bowl, stir together the cherries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of flour.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the 2 ½ cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together the canola oil and sugar in a large bowl.
Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely mixed. Add the almond extract, and whisk until just combined.
Pour in about half of the dry ingredients, mixing well, then add the remaining dry ingredients along with the yogurt. Fold everything together with a wooden spoon or spatula until just mixed. A few small lumps are fine. The batter will be thick, almost like bread dough.
Fold in the cherries until evenly distributed in the batter. Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan with a spatula and cover loosely with a piece of foil.
Bake for 1 hour, remove the foil, and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a thin knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Rest on a cooling rack for 30 minutes.
Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl, and stir together with a spatula until smooth.
Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake and top off with sliced almonds.
Serve at room temperature or warmed.